SUPRISE! We Painted Will’s Room!

DOUBLE SURPRISE!  We did it over a month ago!

Yeah…we did.  Remember when his room looked like this?

Pink Salmon Sushi walls.

And then my mom came over and helped paint over it with plain white.

She’s a champ.

And then it looked like this…white walls with tan trim.

The tan trim drove me crazy.  I am 100,000,000 percent certain without an inkling of a fraction of a doubt that I am not a fan of colored trim in my house.  I am also certain that it’s fine for other people…just not me…can’t take it…it makes my OCD kick in and I become a crazy person.

So even though the neutral color scheme here was fine…it just wasn’t my cup of sweet tea.

So we broke out the ole paint deck and chose a new wall color and decided to repaint all the trim in the room.  Eventually the whole house will get the white-trim makeover…but it’s gonna be like a celebrity conviction and take a while…so one room at a time for now.

All the furniture got moved into the center of the room…and Will got relocated to his pack-n-play for sleeping…I’m sure not the most comfortable situation ever…but neither is sniffing paint fumes…and we figured he’s probably gonna be doing plenty of that as a teenager so we should save those brain cells for years to come ;)

Jeremy worked on rolling while I used the white paint to work on the trim.  I’m a fan of just simple semi-gloss base paint in pastel white for trim…it’s easy for me to remember come touch-up time and it’s nice and clean looking.

Me and my arch nemisis – the step ladder.  I may have cried.  I don’t know why…but literally I step on it now and have visions of a broken leg…with the bone puncturing through my skin into my other leg.  Now you know why I don’t like heights.  It’s the dang imagination getting in the way.

Jer rolls.  I cut in.  That’s the game plan.

(insert gutteral noise here)

Oh and did I mention that the sushi got smeared on the window trim…and other assorted areas?  Yeah.  Them previous owners did a bang-up job :)

The wall color we went with was a tan…it’s Martha Stewarts Sisal.  It looks completely neutral in this room…not too golden (like most of these photos indicate) and not too green…but a true nautical tan.  It’s nice.

It took us four days to paint it all – the trim got three coats…the walls three too.  For some reason, I was being a perfectionist in here…maybe because I loved his last nursery so much and I have this vision of a different but equally awesome space for him here too.  Not quite as themey though.

Here it is after the first coat – sorry about the night time photos – it was the only time Will slept long enough for us to work in there.

OH and remember how our trim was tan?  Yeah…apparently so are all the ceilings.  Gross.  Now I’m gonna have to work on those.

Lo and behold, I bring good tidings of great joy!

Yup…four days of painstaking trim work and a crazy sleep schedule and we finally completed the room.

And since we did it over Thanksgiving break (you know…between work, blogging, and hosting 13 people) it was sort of an ode to one big thing that we are really thankful for…our little guy Will.  It’s funny how not getting pregnant in ten months of trying will make you grateful for the one baby you have already…even if he struggles with sleeping through the night.  every.  single.  night.

Anyhoo – back to the room…

The walls are now tan with high contrasting white trim…clean white trim.

And I have big plans for an accent wall – kinda an ode to his old room…that sported the pallet wood wall…except this time I wanted to create something a little less rugged…and maybe a little more dapper.

The changing table will probably stay where it is…it really works in that location.  I need to work in a bunch of stuff over it though…art and color.

And we desperately need toy storage (that’s up next and it is soooo exciting!)…

The tall wooden wardrobe will go.  It’s just not as functional for him now.  His little jackets are just too long and it really makes better sense somewhere else…I don’t know where yet…but not in here.

Okay – and here is the last photo – the one with the closest representation of the color of the walls.  Doesn’t it look good with the carpet?!  I love it.   And yes, this little wall is the location for the future toy storage.  I told Jeremy I wanted a toy chest but modern…something that Will couldn’t get hurt closing…and that could also be a place for books…and nick-nacks…and for driving his cars.  And I think he came up with something JUST PERFECT.  Stay tuned because tomorrow will be the grand reveal.  The last day of the year is the perfect time for Will’s big surprise!

Comments

1. Paula says

Great color! I love some white trim also, the brighter the better. So clean.

I have 18 month old twin girls and we are desperately needing toy storage also. I’m excited to see what you came up with.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you have a bun in the oven soon. I know how hard that is.

Love the new colour! And the white trim looks fantastic! Can’t wait to see the focal wall and toy storage!

I just have to say that the photo after you explaining about all the furniture being pushed into the center of the room- the crib totally looks like someone is laying on their side mooning us. I got a good laugh about that!

Good luck on the baby front and all the best in 2012!

His room looks amazing! I am a fairly new reader and love your blog! Our son’s nursery (he’s 14 months old) is almost the same color tan and we decorated with old barnwood (which reminds me of your old nursery). Love it!

4. Maja says

I sneaky little bacon-adoring-salmon-hating girl… :)
    I have been waiting for this post! I bet Will loves it. With a toy chest he can actually practice throwing stuff in :)

5. Meghan says

LOVE this contrast. Any suggestions on painting baseboard trim with carpeting? I’m so terrified of getting it all over the carpet. And do you typically prime first? Can’t wait to see the dapper little boy room you have on your way :)

I love white trim, yours looks so much better now! All the rooms in our house had ceilings painted a yellowish off-white, same as the walls- I guess it was easier for the builder’s guys not to do any cutting in. The original owners didn’t repaint anything except the dining room- baby poop brown- and the kitchen- red, slopped onto the trim. So, I’m kinda’ glad they didn’t go any farther. I’m excited every time I get a room painted, especially when the ceiling goes from dirty looking to fresh clean white.

Katie,

I loved Will’s nursery at your other home and cannot wait to see what you do with this one. We are trying for baby #2 also and I understand the frustration!

I notice that Will wears Luv’s. I also had our 1 yr old in Luvs. I Luved the price of them and hated the lack of absorbency compared to Huggie’s. I noticed that after the switch, my boy was sleeping longer, only waking up once compaired to 3 to 4 times a night. I also notice that his skin was drier in the morning after having them on all night. Anyway it might be part of the solution. A dry tooshie helps me sleep better too! Not that I wear diapers! :)

I notice that Will wears Luv’s. I also had our 1 yr old in Luvs. I Luved the price of them and hated the lack of absorbency compared to Huggie’s. I noticed that after the switch, my boy was sleeping longer, only waking up once compared to 3 to 4 times a night. I also notice that his skin was drier in the morning after having them on all night. Anyway it might be part of the solution. A dry tooshie helps me sleep better too! Not that I wear diapers! :)

haha – we actually put Will in whatever diapers we have a coupon for :)
      ANd yes, we noticed that Will needed to sleep in a disposable – the washing of the crib sheet and the multiple clothing changes just wasn’t working for me :)

10. Linda says

Great improvment! I noticed you are now using a different dresser for your changing table. Did the dark one not hold up well? My husband and I have our first child on the way, and we’ve been super busy dresser shopping…

11. Melissa Peterson says

OMG!!! You crack me up! I especially enjoyed snorting water out my nose at the lines “… gonna be like a celebrity conviction and take awhile…” and the reference to Will’s teenaged years to come… Oh my! How I appreciate your humor! Cheers to 2012 and please don’t ever stop posting!!! :) (Also, I really love the color you picked for the room. It’s so warm & inviting yet clean & “grown-up”.)

So I’m a little new to the blog, and when I started to read this post I thought you had painted his room the salmon-ish color and I gagged.. but kept reading and was happy to be wrong! The finished room looks fabulous! You guys are an inspiration.

14. Blythe says

Did you ever think about painting the ceiling as the “accent wall?” I’ve done this in several of my bedrooms over the course of 10 years and I get nothing but compliments! Just sayin’ since you have to paint that ceiling anyway…

Katie, the trim looks really great. How did you paint the floor trim without smudging it on a drop cloth or getting any on the carpet? We have some super blue trim we’ll be needing to eliminate down the line and I’m weighing if it will be easier to just replace the floor trim, or try to paint ever so delicately.

I use a trick with a wide drywall mud knife. I am sure that if you punch in “paint trim carpet” in the search box, it’ll be easy to find :)

Oh… I wanted to share this with you. A while back you were playing with the idea of using very vibrant rainbow hues to redecorate Will’s nursery. I found a tutorial for something that would be very cute in his room. It’s a monogram using crayons! Use a rainbow of colors or use coordinating colors for whatever palette you’ve chosen. I’m going to try my hand at making this. I’ll let you know how it goes. http://www.chiccheapnursery.com/2011/do-it-yourself/diy-how-to-make-a-crayon-monogram/

17. Megan@reFind says

Katie-
    I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with baby number 2. As a person who is finally pregnant (with two!!) after nearly 2 years of trying – I know how hard it is. If you don’t already know about it – you MUST read this blog: http://www.999reasonstolaugh.com/
    It really helped me many days… and I know that you will appreciate the humor!

Love the room – so fresh and clean….

Looks great!!

Okay, I know you didn’t ask for advice, but are we moms EVER really able to refrain from giving it when we think it might help??? I feel your pain – my son didn’t sleep through the night until he was THREE YEARS OLD. THREE. You know what finally did it? We put a CD player in his room and put a Mozart CD (some of his calming stuff, not the upbeat ones) on repeat all night long. It worked like a champ, and I was nearly sane again. (Except for the fact that right around then, I had another baby who didn’t sleep through the night until HE was three – and I forgot about the Mozart thing that time around. Don’t be like me.) It might work…it’s worth a shot!

Okay, I didn’t read all the comments, so maybe somebody else already laughed over this, but I am cracking up that you had white walls and tan trim and switch to tan walls and white trim. Maybe I find this particularly funny because I am short on sleep, but there is something funny there. :) I do seriously like the way it came out though.

20. Lori Kay says

LOVE IT! I must say, in a few of those pictures, Will’s ceiling looked pale-blue almost. And, though, I know it isn’t… I think it would look great. Just sayin’… :)