Three Tone Technique
Nothing is safe.
Nope. Not a thing.
Not one item is safe from the paintbrush mania of June 2014. It seems as if every single day I am taking hold of a brush and giving something a coat or two. Maybe it’s just me taking that whole “Everything I know about life I learned in Kindergarten” poster a little too seriously. Remember that bad boy? It was in the era of inspirational posters like the one with the word LEADERSHIP and had a picture of a bald eagle. Because obviously bald eagles are good leaders (fun fact – they steal food from other birds). I would have used the word FIDELITY. Because ironically our national bird is faithful to a single mate till poacher do they part.
But the poster I am talking about is the one that says…
Learn some and think some and draw, paint, sing, and dance and play and work everyday some.
True dat. I love that. I think we would have a much happier planet if we all followed that poster’s advice.
And these days I have been painting on this bad boy…
That’s our old coffee table before it got a quickie makeover. It was a $20 find at the thrift store and needed an update so I slapped some white paint on the base and two-toned it with PolyShades on the top. I blogged about it a while back.
The only problem is I live with two little wrecking balls. If there is a way to destroy something…they will find it. They are awesome like that. I always say that someone needs to hire my boys to test out products. They have managed to open canned foods…without the use of a can opener.
So when it came to this coffee table (aka their matchbox car roadway and launching pad for American Ninja Warrior practice), the tabletop stood not a single chance. Soon little bits of the PolyStained top looked very celestial.
All those flecks are little chips in the poly. It was probably a lot of my own fault. I don’t remember sanding in between coats and the finish can only withstand so much.
So I decided that enough was enough and the entire thing needed a makeover. Now it looks like this:
Yup. I three toned the base and completely redid the top properly.
Let’s start with the process of how I did it. I first had to strip the top completely. It involved a whole lot of sanding.
Will took this photo….he is my budding assistant. He did pretty darn good too…
I used a low grit sand paper till all the poly and the paint that was underneath came off completely. The wood that was left was bare and ready for staining.
I applied two coats of Rustoleum’s Kona stain and made sure to do full length strokes for the best and most even coverage. Then I wiped it all down with a tack cloth and did my first coat of regular poly in satin finish. As that dried, I painted the base with a sample can of Valspar’s Liquid Jade in Satin. TIP – sometimes magazines like Better Homes and Garden has coupons for free samples of Valspar paint! Amazon has these subscriptions for $5 at times (which is only two dollars more than a sample pot!)
After two coats of the paint on the base, I distressed the paint so that the white would peek through. I just use a sanding block with a low grit and rub it all over to get the worn look.
At this point, I could have left the base as is or just sealed it with a few coats of poly. But with my destructors in the house, I decided to add one more tone to the mix to allow for a complete dirt hiding factor. That’s right. I added a glaze. It’s really easy to do.
Here are the complete steps.
I used a faux glaze technique that I have done before. It is using Glidden’s Faux Glaze and you mix it with your desired color of paint. In this case, I used Valspar’s English Tea Party in Satin (also another sample pot that I scored for free). You just mix it 50/50 with the glaze medium and then brush it on. After a one minute drying time, I wiped off the excess with a paper towel.
Not only did it mute my Liquid Jade paint color but it brought out the detail of the bead board and made the entire piece look richer.
After I was done glazing I simply did two more coats of satin poly on the entire thing (sanding with 400 grit between-coat sand paper and using a tack cloth after) to finish the piece.
Also – I let the poly cure in the upstairs guest room for a couple weeks (always a good idea to put it out of site and out of reach when it comes to toddlers) before I put it in the living room and now it really adds a burst of color in our otherwise neutral space. The good news is that so far, it has held up great to the beatings.
So that is what I have been doing these days…painting all the things. And now its time for my other kindergarten tip – take a nap everyday