This is such an easy technique and I am sure you are gonna be a wood painting fool after this post. Just promise me that if you make a project with this finish, you will tell me, tag me, post a billboard on 85N and let me know because the true measure of success is if OTHERS can do your project, ya know?!
So here we go – one way to paint wood to look like metal just like we did with my brother’s console table legs…
Yup – those legs might look like metal or aluminum or brushed steel but they are actually 2×2’s. And the technique is super simple. It requires only a few products and a little bit of time.
Rust-Oleum was so excited that we used their products for this finish that they asked us to make a video – you can see it now on the Creator’s Studio site!
You can also submit your questions over there and see bloopers
Since you saw the video and I obviously didn’t have a ton of time to give you all the info you may need – here are some tips to help you if you tackle this at home.
- the Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic in silver spray paint is a oil based spray paint and does not need priming
- after filling any knots, holes or obvious cracks in your wood and sanding your wood smooth, the spray paint may still bring out grain and you can eliminate this by sanding LIGHTLY with 400 grit and respraying. You can repeat that process anywhere from 2-8 times depending on how grain-less you want the finish
- wood that has finer grain will show less and require less prep than a larger grain wood
- you can buy a $1 brush at the Dollar Tree to keep the overall cost down! This will be your new dry brushing brush if you just dab all the stain out and you can reuse it!
- CLICK HERE to see the dry brushing technique
- a cut up tshirt works great for buffing the extra stain off
- spray paint lightly with a sweeping motion – do a very liberal finish coat on the piece
- stain with a light hand – you can always add more later
- always brush with the grain
Happy finishing y’all!
Oh and thank you to everyone who is following along on our adventures in Texas this week! We love posting our updates on Instagram (@bowerpowerblog) and today we are hitting up Waco! Maybe if we are lucky we will be able to run into Chip and Joanna