The Pinterest Challenge Project

Today is the day!

I am so excited to finally be able to see this day actually happen.  Yup, after months of pitching, discussing, planning, videotaping, emailing, and actual project tackling, today is the day to celebrate the amazing inspiration that is Pinterest and the fact that we got off our bums and did something good for our homes.  And to think that this whole thing began with a little chat on the floor when Sherry came to visit and ended with HGTV’s Design Star saying she was in :)  Crazy.

If you have no clue what I am talking about – click here and watch the video.  It explains what we are up to and how you can get in on the action.  Oh and just so everyone knows – Pinterest has no idea we are doing this…we just thought it would be fun to use it as a tool for great inspiration.

As for my project – here’s what has been happening on my Pinterest boards lately:

A whole lotta mirrors.  And my favorite just happens to be that first one – the one by the fabulous Kristi of Addicted 2 Decorating.  After finding her blog and seeing her tutorial on how she made her Apartment Therapy inspired decor piece, I pinned that bad boy and began planning on how I could make my own.

I’m not gonna explain how I did this step-by-step…only because Kristi already did a wonderful job doing that.  Instead, I wanna show you what I did different.  Like for one…my shims were 1 inch wide and needed to be only two inches long.  That was part of my plan.  So I rigged the miter saw to have a board clamped to it acting like a guide – all I had to do was push the shim all the way up to meet the board and WAHLA!  two inch cuts.

And let me tell ya…there were lots of cuts needed.

Then I played around with patterns.  I have always liked basketweave backsplashes – you know, with subway tile – so I figured that it would also look pretty darn cute surrounding a mirror too.

And as you can see, I didn’t use MDF…but instead some particle board that I got for 51 cents in the clearance bin at Home Depot.

After glueing, waiting, jigsawing and sanding – we have this beauty…

Oh and you may notice that my edges are slightly more refined than jagged ole particle board (that tends to splinter really bad)…it’s all thanks to veneer edging.

This stuff is amazing.  And yes, I have plans for the leftovers…

All I did was use my regular old iron to adhere it to the edges and cover up all those imperfections.  If only my makeup stayed put that easily.  of course, the idea of ironing concealer onto my face isn’t ideal.  but permanent concealer might be worth it.  beauty is pain people.

Then came time to stain.  I wanted it to be rich and masculine looking…so I opted for MinWax’s Dark Walnut.

At first I wanted to make something for our guest bedroom…to put something over the bed…

But after I made it, I loved it so much that I wanted to enjoy it for myself.  Why give it to guests who will enjoy it maybe once a month when I can keep it for myself and enjoy it everyday, right?!  I’m nothing if not completely selfless…

Oh and Jeremy?  Yeah – he loves it.  We both agreed that it looks good with the dark sidetables and the lighter bed (it just wouldn’t have worked with the darker bed in the guest bedroom…sometimes chocolate on chocolate only works when it comes to ice cream…or bacon).

But the real WOL (woah-out-loud) inducing factor of this piece is the interesting texture and finish.

So there you have it folks – my first Pinterest Challenge project complete!

Be sure to check out my fellow Pinterest Challengers:

Sherry @ Young House Love

Emily @ Style By Emily Henderson

Lana @ Making a House a Home

And how did you guys do?  Did you tackle a personal project?  Was it something that you pinned?  I’d love for you to share! If you participated this past week in doing your own spin on something you pinned and you blogged about it, just click on the little blue button below to link up your Pinterest Challenge project. Can’t wait to see what you did! Who knows…maybe next time it will be someone else’s next project inspiration!

Comments

1. Bob says

Did you cut the inner and outer circles yourself, or did you just have your son chew on the wood until it approximated circles? Them some ruff circles yo!

Haha! No, I cut them with a jigsaw (per Kristi’s instructions) and for some reason they look wonky…I swear they are round but I think the iron-on stuff didn’t bend as easily in some places so it looks like that. Thankfully the pictures exaggerrate it a little more.
      p.s. You should know that we only let Will chew on electrical cords.

2. tracy a says

love the mirror and am feeling quite inspired! and i also LOVE the comment about chocolate and bacon (that is what you intended right?)….one of my favourite brown on brown combos!!

I’d love to follow you on Pinterest, what is your Pinterest name? I’m searching everything I can think of and am coming up blank. I need to stalk you and you’re making it difficult (kidding!). Could you please put up a link on your homepage to your Pinterest page (I’m sure other people are looking for you too) or do you like to keep your Pinterest private?

4. Sherri says

Loved it,Britney; I mean Katie! You placed it in the perfect spot. I enjoyed your British accent in the video. You’re a hoot! Thanks for the inspiration.

OMGeee Katie Bower I love your mirror. That stain is just freakin sexy, there’s no way around it. Once you go black…er.. Dark Walnut… Shmanyways. What was your budget breakdown for that project, if you please ma’am?
    Not like you’re busy with life and a huge house and a wedding coming up or anything, but you know what else would be swell is if you’d get a video of cutting something into a circle like that. With a jigsaw, did you say? For those of us who aren’t power tool savvy yet.

Good idea!
      The shims were $6, the particle board was $.51, the veneer was $6.47 – the glue, stain, mirror (leftover from our wedding – ha!), and hooks were all free because they were leftovers from other projects – bringing our grand total to….quick grab a calculator…$13. Not too shabby!
      And yes – the jigsaws are awesome. I can’t wait to use it again…I think a video is in order :)

6. Courtney says

LOVE, Love, love this challenge. I didn’t participate, but seeing everybody’s work is getting me inspired.

7. Karla says

Katie, you and this project are awesome!
    I love how you keep it real and stand up for yourself! :) Take care and keep up the good work!
    Karla

I love the mirror! I am getting so many ideas from the Pinterest Challenge. I’m totally joining up for the next time! I just started reading your blog and am really enjoying it :)

9. merle brendeland says

Very creative and interesting. Above all, low cost. BTW, what thickness was your particle board?

Thanks

Let’s do it Rhoda!
      And just so you know – I loved your Biltmore/Shaw flooring/HGTV recap post – I was totally green with envy. like a good shade of emerald to be exact :)

So late with this. But I loved your idea but was in the middle of planning a birthday party and vacation and wasn’t able to participate on the exact day. I was using Pinterest to gather ideas for Remie’s birthday and did my challenge on a couple inspiration images when planning her party.