Our basement saga continues…we have prepped and are ready to go. and have apparently have stretched and warmed up those high V’s too. aye aye aye.
That’s right…in order to get this space done, we used a big chunk of that True Value project budget for buckets and buckets and buckets of paint. It was so simple – we just took in our paint swatch (Martha Stewart’s Ash Bark) into our local True Value store and they color matched it in store while we picked up extra rollers, brushes and other painting accessories.
Let me just say – cutting in was a BEAST. This room has more edges than the Kardashians have le0pard rompers. And that is really saying something.
It roughly took me and my crew (my sis Nornie, my mom, and some miscellaneous helpers) a full day of painting just to get the first coat on. Wowza.
Yes, we were taking turns up on the ladders (mostly because they didn’t want to keep hearing me shriek, “I’M FALLING HELP! HELP! Oh wait, I’m okay.” over and over). Even just that photo of Norn makes me kinda dizzy and want to photoshop pillowy clouds beneath her to break any fall.
But after everything dried and Will and I went down there, I noticed a problem. The areas that we had patched weren’t exactly smooth. Maybe it was sheer laziness, maybe it was because we simply hate doing drywall work, maybe it was a simple mistake….but the walls and ceiling needed one more coat of mud that we had failed to do.
So back to the drawing board…err…the mudding board we went. I had to resand, remud, and resand all the spots that needed it.
Forgive me for a moment while I rant about mudding drywall. It is the pits. the pits of a large sweaty Italian man. a man that has a sweater of hair on after he takes off all his clothing. those kinda pits. and my family is full of such men so I know what I am talking about here. believe me…even Sure Antiperspirant is not so positive about them pitties.
It not only leaves a mess, but it makes you physically ill. Before it all settles IN EVERY CREVICE OF YOUR BODY, the dust gets in your lungs, your nose, your mouth, and basically every surface needs a full wipedown – not once but several times. And that’s all while wearing protective eyewear, masks, and the full ET-just-landed bodysuit. Like I said…THE PITS.
On the upside, it was fun to show Will how to properly use a broom to make swirls in the floor mess.
Consider it training for the day that will require him to actually clean up the dust vs. just playing in it.
Seriously, who needs toys when you have a broom and a dirty floor, right?!
Anyhoo…after cleaning everything AGAIN, another coat on the ceiling, two more coats on the walls, and two more coats on the areas that needed remudding, we have a finished and wedding-ready basement.
I must say that I do love how it looks with the raised panels in the ceiling as the wall color and the trimwork all matching. Burgundy is never good…unless it’s a character played by Will Ferrell…then it’s kind of a big deal 🙂 name that movie…so yeah, basically this ash bark is the bee’s knees in comparison.
In the kitchenette area, we painted and left the hole from the bar. Since we had this desk and my mom wanted a drink station over in this area anyway, we simply needed a solid surface that could protect the pipes and the open wall. The tables are going to be draped so it will be well-hidden for the wedding.
Oh and you may have noticed that we got a rug down here…it’s the one from the dining room. And all we did was fill the big spaces in the tile (that’s made to look like wood) with a bucket of pre-mixed grout. We smeared it in, let it dry and then had a solid surface that was smooth enough to place a rug over and hide completely.
In other basement news, we also hung a few things – like lights (more on that later) and fans and a tv. This actually belongs to my dad and he brought it over to have a slideshow of photos running during the wedding of the lovely bride & groom.
And our fans we actually got for a steal – under $45 each for the big room. Since we already had recessed lighting, we figured that just getting a plain fan (vs. a fan that also has lights) would be a good way for us to save money but still add a way for good air movement.
So there you have it – our basement before & after….
Not too shabby, huh? It was nice to have that earlier deadline of Norn’s shower before the chaos of wedding week hit.
So that was how we did it. Not ridiculously exciting (it is only painting afterall) but definitely an improvement. And hopefully one day, we will look back and laugh about the amount of dust on that floor. I guess that’s the same day that the dust bunnies on the first floor will have decided to hop off to the woods 🙂 Hey, a girl can dream!
“I was one of the bloggers selected by True Value to work on the DIY Squad. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about my experience. I have also been compensated for the materials needed for my DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.”