Put A Burlap On It

Ever watch that video called “Put a bird on it“?

Basically it’s this joke about everything is better if you put a bird on it…bird bags, bird pillows, bird plates, bird everything.

Well ever since I watched that video, it’s like an ongoing in-my-head joke.  If I ever hear the words “put” “on” and another word in between, it gets stuck in my head and I walk around all day muttering it like my schizophrenic uncle.  (that’s not a joke…he is and he does).  For instance – I’m cooking breakfast and the infomercial tv person is talking about their fantastic blanket and says “Are you cold, put a Snuggie on” – I then walk around the rest of the day muttering – Put a Snuggie on it! to basically any question – even when it doesn’t make sense.

Jeremy – “Katie will you clean up your crafting mess – it’s been here for four days and two weeks”

Me – “Put a Snuggie on it!”

Will – “Juuuce Peas”

Me – “Put a Snuggie on it!”

Jeremy – “What are we having for dinner?”

Me – “PUT A SNUGGIE ON IT!”
It’s part insanity – part in-my-head hilarity.

And now enter Will’s room.

Remember we painted it?  Well, actually we painted it from salmon to white and then switched the white to tan.  yeah.

So I really wanted to do an accent wall.

Yeah, I dig an accent wall.  Plus, I liked that Will’s old room had an accent wall.  Sortof like a ‘howyoodoin” nod to the nursery of yesteryear.

Aww – memories.

So I already had it in my mind that I really wanted to do an accent wall – not really knowing what type and no money to do it with…basically the best place to start, huh?

Right about then is when Jeremy said “Katie, have you seen my wallet?  Last time I checked, it was on the table?”

Me – “What table?”

“The little table.  You put burlap on it

Bada boom bada bing…the rest is history.

(In case you are no good with connect the dots or are my mother, I walked around the rest of the day saying put a burlap on it…and walked into Will’s room, saw the wall, said put a burlap on it….NOW bada boom bada bing…the rest is history).

I just staple gunned that bad boy on it.

I love the fact that if I hated it, I could just tear it all down, fill a few hundred pin holes and repaint just one wall :)  Slight sarcasm.

Let’s be honest – I was fully expecting to hate it…but my new mantra when it comes to this house is be a Nike girl and just do it!

Crisis!  Sippie Cup down!

Excuse my greasy hair – no makeup look.  It’s coming back in – any day now :)

It’s not rocket science – just smooth and staple…cut and fold under around the edges…then smooth and staple.

I asked Jer to take relevant photos.  I don’t believe that’s a lot to ask.  It’s a small simple task.

Apparently it was too much to ask.  Because upon downloading the photos, there was about thirteen of my butt crack.

And then there was four of Will reading.

Also not relevant – but cuter than my rear end, so….so….put a burlap on it!

Almost done!  Obviously Jer quit at this point (probably felt like his task of NOT taking photos of his wives coin slot was too much to bear)…

And he’s back.  I guess he was making a Cheez-it’s run :)

And here we have it…the finally burlapped wall.

The photos at night were horrible.

Curtain rods and curtains go up….note how ridiculously short they are…obviously this room is quite a bit taller than Will’s last nursery.

I love it.  It’s very tweedy in my book.  Kinda like an english gentleman’s fabric wall.  I know it’s probably one of those things that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (haha – punny), but I dig it.

This is when Will officially was like “Put me in bed…and some burlap on it”

So one last photo during the night….

Only to wake up and love it even more.

It’s hard to tell but the texture is great….simple, masculine and a little rugged.

And yes, Will played with it that first morning…he stuck his little fingertips in the holes – make it have a pull…but I fixed it with a baby comb and you can’t tell…ever since, he hasn’t messed with it.  I think he found it a little boring.

Ignore the toys and blankets and general messiness…I need to make a crib skirt, bumpers, move furniture…the whole shebang.

This was prior to our toy chest so it looked like this on the other side.

I think on this wall I am gonna put the rocker and a nightstand and some artwork.  The other side will have this dresser (that needs a paint job…not today…but someday) and some more shelves…we’ll have to see.  It’ll come together, I’m certain.

So accent wall, check!

Put a burlap on it, check!

Now onto free art…and maybe letting the hem outta my Steve Urkel curtains :)

Comments

1. Ms. S. says

Now I feel bad because *all* the curtains in my house are short rather than floor-length :( I tried them long, but between the kids pulling on them and the pet hair wads that got stuck in them, it was an ugly mess. So I cut them.

I was thinking you’d go posh and traditional with your nursery (just based on your dresser, the crib, and that navy checked fabric), but the burlap is a neat complement. I might try that somewhere in my house, though I’m not sure it’d fit in with our other stuff…

One suggestion: Maybe seaming the burlap panels together and trimming would help the seams look less obvious? I’ve seen the starching technique + seaming the fabric used before (it was striped, so much harder to match) and the seams were almost invisible. Though it is probably difficult to measure/cut all the different pieces.

2. katie says

So how did you trim the burlap next to your molding? Scissors? or an exacto knife? It seems like it would be difficult to make the cuts so clean. Any suggestions? Thanks! It really does look great.

Looks great! Question, and if it was posted and I misseded it I’m sorry. Where did you buy your burlap? I want a bunch but am not sure where to even go for it.

Love the crack… my hubby would do the same!

OMG Katie I flippin’ love it!!! We just painted a spare room in our house a khaki color but it really needs a little more, ummm, something… I thing a burlap wall might actually be the perfect thing! (side note: my mother-in-law gave me 10 yards of 3 different colored burlaps for Christmas… … … yes, it was amazing/my favorite gift)

Oh, I just LOVE this wall treatment. I have been considering some kind of wood accent wall when we switch my son from his nursery to a bigger bedroom later this year, but I have not been able to decide on a look. Now, I’m thinking fabric- yes-FABRIC!!! I have a bit of a textile obsession.
    Anywho- the Portlandia, “put a bird on it” reference has been muttered so many times by me since seeing it last year that my husband finally cornered me to find out what on Earth I was talking about. Of course when I showed him the video he saw the humor, but not as much as I do. Oh well, if he would just put a bird on it everything would be great! Am I right?

6. Alice H says

You should put some burlap on the top of the curtains to make them longer! DUH! I love it! I want to do some kind of “travel room” for my 2 year old. And I think burlap would look good on a wall. I also want to have the quote “of the places you will go” up somewhere too. I need an interior designer! You are so awesome at this Nike girl thing!!

Oy Katie.

I like a lot of the home decorating things you do, but I am not a fan of this one. The seams are pretty distracting to me. Sorry. :(

What about grass-cloth wallpaper?

Jen

Well, I totally know what you mean about the seams…and I hear ya. I do have plans for frames to partially cover it – it will still be there but with all the other ‘lines’ of the frames – hopefully it will be less in-your-face, if you know what I mean.

• Amanda C says

I was thinking the same thing about the seams, especially the big one right in the middle of the wall. I am sure you thought about this, but maybe using a whole piece to cover the middle and then make the seam in a more out of the way spot? My eye just goes right to it! Although I do love the color and the texture. Such a creative idea!

Well, here’s the thing I didn’t explain earlier…if I had one piece down the middle, we would have two seams down either side…the curtains wouldn’t have covered it because the curtain rods are not expandable…so I figured that one seam would be better…especially seeing as how I am using the burlap as an accent for added texture underneath a bunch of frames. Does that make sense?

8. Melanie Haley says

Love the color and texture. That center seam would drive me insane though. Curses!

Those short curtains made me giggle. You could always add a few inches of coordinating fabric with some stitch witchery as a temporary fix. :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! What a unique and creative idea. Love your blog, you give such inspiration for the “not so creative” gals like myself. Thanks for sharing :)

10. Jen says

Hi Katie,

I really like it, it provides a focal point yet it’s understated. I’ve used burlap for so many things but never thought about it on a wall… reading it was one of those, “why didn’t I think of that” moments!

11. Jen says

Hi Katie,

12. Trish says

Coin slot! Steve Urkel! Where do you come up with these one liners? You are HILARIOUS!!!!!…. Where did you come up with the burlap wall? Did you really just say “put a burlap on it” and the idea sprung into your head or did you see it used somewhere else?? It looks great..good idea no matter where it came from!

Seriously how it happened. Weird, huh? Stuff gets crazy when you have limited money for renovations and you want to exercise the creative side…you start putting stuff on walls Hilde style :)

Oh my goodness its so nice to know I’m not the only who thinks that… Let me guess, every time you walk past something with a bird on it you think “PUT A BIRD ON IT”! (in all caps… Just like that!) My husband thinks its hilarious how true that video is and every time we walk into any home design store and there is a bird on something he pulls me over and says “they put a bird on it” and laughed. Yeah… Considering how may birds there are on things, this get old real fast. lol. I SOOO thought you would do fabric on the wall this time around too, so yeah, I’m pretty much awesome like that, just saying, oh, and you too for thinking up the idea!

14. Dana says

Haha… coin slot… that’s funny.

I like the burlap. It’s cute. Perhaps you could do a fabric border to lengthen the curtains. Just an idea.

Hugs,
    Dana

15. Faye says

All I can hear in my head is the sound of slot machines. CHA CHING CHA CHING….haha

Did you consider running the burlap horizontally? And when you stapled, did you just staple at the tops and bottoms or did you place staples on the edges all the way down? Love the idea!

I did think of that but I was afraid of sagging in the middle…don’t know why but I thought that gravity could help with it vertically. It probably would work either way though :)

Your burlap wall looks great! I don’t think the seams are a problem at all- it goes with the look of the burlap. Grasscloth has the same issue, actually bugs me more. I’m glad you mentioned the issue of Will pulling on it-that was my first thought considering his bed is in front of that wall. Good idea, and thanks for the laughs, as always. :)

I’m in love with this wall treatment! It reminds me of paper backing fabric, but that’s so expensive and hard to come by these days! Perfect alternative!

18. Kate says

Unrelated to the current burlap wall….

Katie, you need to read December’s In Style magazine. A designer totally redid Will’s first nursery for Jewel and it got featured. It’s got the pallet wall and faux animal heads and all.

19. Beth J says

I like this. I kinda think the mirror you just pulled down from the bathroom would look amazing between the windows….

I love the wood accent wall in your sons old nursery! Did you do that yourself? If not do you have any suggestions as to wallpaper that would give a similar look?

PS LOVELY BLOG :)
    Sara

21. Tarale says

I had my mind set on burlaping my wall (I have an entire roll of burlap!! Burlap banners, burlap book covers, burlap jewelry……..)
    I was not excited to do it the “proper” way – liquid starch and am ecstatic that you used my weapon of choice!! A staple gun!! Thanks for the reassurance!! Plus, I want to see some wrinkle & texture. Thank you!