10 weeks

Here’s the monthly pregnancy update…so far, so good.

Okay…you caught me.  I don’t really have much exciting stuff to update.  We (the Little Baby and me) are just trucking along.  To be honest, I haven’t even been to a doctor yet….not because I don’t believe doctors are important because they are – it’s simply because we went on vacation, I got paranoid that I would miscarry and wanted to wait till I was out of the danger-zone (which is stupid…I know…you don’t have to tell me) and then frankly I didn’t spend the time to find the right one.  So I finally got around to doing some hard core research and we decided on one that is pretty awesome-kick-pants in the area of VBAC’s.  So my first appointment is this week.

Other than that – not much to report.

Here are the symptoms so far:  extreme tiredness.  I had this with my pregnancy with Will but honestly, I had such a flexible schedule then, I could sleep when I needed.  So this time, when the wave of tiredness hits, I have about fifteen seconds to pop in a Barney video before I am literally sleeping on the hardwood floors.  Yes.  I am basically a narcoleptic.

I have a crazy sense of smell…I swore there was a rotting piece of fruit in the house the other day and hunted that bad boy down.  Turns out – it was coming from the garbage can in the garage.  That stench wafted through the plastic Hefty sinch sac and three closed doors to get to me.

My skin has gone to Zitsville – return unknown.  Thank goodness for photoshop :) I have major gross-mouth from the prenatal vitamins…basically I swear someone in the house has sushi (I don’t know how Will could order raw fish without my knowledge but crazier things have happened)…but then I realized I’m just smelling my own rank breath.  I guess the fish oil in the vitamins is stinky.  A recent photoshoot friend (Hi Laurie!) recommended gummy prenatals from Target – so once I run out of these, I am getting those pronto.

The bump has definitely arrived.  When I wake up in the morning, I feel and look fine in my regular jeans but by 4 pm, the button is getting undone…no matter where I am or who can see.  Yes, I walked around Kroger the other day with them completely unbuckled.  I have no shame when it comes to personal comfort.  Yesterday, I made Jeremy drag up my two storage bins full of maternity clothing.  Pro – my maternity clothing is CUTE!  Con – last time I was pregnant during the winter :(  I need some shorts pronto.

No real cravings yet.

I have had only two incidents where I thought I would blow chunks…thankfully that didn’t happen.  I’m not much of a thrower-upper to begin with (I didn’t even have a single feeling of barfiness with Will) so I would be really really surprised if that happened this time around.  But I do get cramps…so the couch is like my best friend.  Not like…is….is my best friend.

Other than that – just extremely emotional.  (duh!)  Basically I cry every Sunday at church.  Yes, I am that girl blowing her nose and bawling my eyeliner into my mouth at the inspirational videos or right in the middle of the worship.  And don’t even start with me and those dang nature shows that I let Will see.  I mean – the poor penguins work so hard for their eggs and then sometimes they don’t even make it with all the coldness and the lack of food.  It’s basically unbearable to see.  I just really love those penguins.

Quick questions:

• When are we due?  November 5th.
  • Are we still gonna find out the gender?  YES.
  • Do we have any names yet?  For a girl maybe…for a boy no.  Jeremy doesn’t like mine.  I don’t love his.
  • Do we think we know the gender yet?  I am 98% sure it’s a boy.  Jeremy is still on the fence.
  • Will I attempt a VBAC?  Yes.
  • Where will we put the baby?  It will stay in our room at first and then hopefully transition to it’s own room (the current Jack room)
  • Does Will understand?  Maybe just a smidge.  Unless I am growing a truck in there – he’s uninterested.
  • Where did I get my white tshirt?  It’s a nightshirt I got for a couple bucks at TJMaxx.  They sell something similar at Target.
  • Will I wear it in all the photos?  Yes.  I plan on adding some leggings when the belly gets bigger to avoid crotch-flashings.
  • Did I cross many things off my pre-pregnancy bucket list?  Yes!  I did!  See below!
  • How often will I post these updates?  Don’t tie me down to a schedule.  I’ll just break those bonds :)
  • Anything else you should know?  Today I have completed my first trimester.  Also – I love this website.  I just punched in my due date and it gives me tidbits every day on the baby and pregnancy.  It helps me focus on just single things to pray about – which is good for a person who gets overwhelmed by the dollar menu :)

Not too much difference between 5 and 10 weeks.  Fun fact – I suck in big time for these photos.  I thought it would be the only consistent way to keep things fair.  After all, you know I can push that bad boy OUT.  Exhibit A.

Also – I have not yet decided whether I’m doing the more subdued photo montage or the fun fabric backdropped one – so for now – it’s both.

Oh and in the 5 week picture – I’m holding the first pregnancy test.  And yes, it does make me a little uncomfortable to know that something that has urine on it is thisclose to my face.  No – it doesn’t matter if it’s my own pee.  Or that it’s dried.  Pee is pee people.

Comments

I’m gonna have to agree with everyone else and tell you how beautiful you are! I love the extra glow a pregnancy gives women. I’m currently baby craving–but know that it’s just not our time yet. It’s hard to be patient for something that I know will give me so much joy.

It’s safe to say I’ll be enjoying every detail you share with us about this new precious gift of yours. Thanks for being honest and giving us all so much laughter and joy through the life you live. :)

Blessings xoxo

2. Karyn says

I was hoping for a pregnancy update! Congrats! I’m at 39+3 with our 3rd, and waiting semi-patiently to go into labor to attempt my 2nd vbac. I had a successful one with my middle child. Can’t wait to read about your journey, and I hope you are able to get your vbac! It was one of the greatest things I have done for myself.

3. Amy L. says

I am 3 weeks away from Baby #3 and was able to stay in regular clothes for quite a while using the belly band thing from Target. Great $20 investment. I’m not a huge fan of the whole belly button popping out phenomenon, so I still use the band when I wear dresses.

Yes – I have some of those! Aren’t they great?! I only wish my bum wouldn’t make an appearance in them. The junk in the trunk sometimes can not be contained. Literally and figuratively :)

4. Jen says

Ditto the Target gummy prenatals, they are so much easier to take when you feel awful. They also now have Target gummy DHA, zero fishy taste.

You’re looking great!

5. Lori says

I just wanted to write and encourage you. You are a wonderful mama and you’re doing a great job with little Will. It’s okay to pop in a video and take a nap. You look wonderful too! I have never written before but I felt God leading me to just encourage you today! It’s okay that not everything gets done or that you feel like you overwhelmed! It won’t last and as you know it goes so fast! You have a wonderful hubby, little boy and a family and they will be your support system through the pregnancy. Just remember to take one day at a time. Take lots of breaks throughout the day and play with little Will. You should be so proud of yourself. If only there were more mama’s like you! I’m not trying to sound like a know-it-all, far from it! I’ve just had 4 babies of my own and now a pround grandma! So I just remember how it feels and you are an amazing lady so just stay close to your family and keep praying. God will sustain you and give you the strength and grace to get through each day. You have lot’s of people praying for you, including me! I love reading your blog each day. You make alot of people happy each day and give us the courage to try new things ( I have learned so much because of you!) so keep it up and stay strong! (sorry for the long email).

6. Rachel says

The DHA pills bothered me too. I was always grossed out if I burped after taking them. My trick was to take them before I went to sleep. I didn’t notice it since I was asleep and the problem seemed to disappear by the morning.

‘Zitsville’ and ‘blow chunks’ haha. Awesome. Way to keep it real. Loved the post and loved the update. Best wishes for a continued, amazing pregnancy :)

I think I’m unnaturally excited about your pregnancy. I’ve been thinking about you and praying for you and the baby, that all goes well and you’ll have a healthy baby. I’m just so excited! Especially after reading about how much you’ve prayed for another baby. Should I be this excited? I don’t even know you! And I LOVE your pictures. Prettiest pregnant lady I’ve EVER seen.

9. Lauren says

So excited to follow these pregnancy posts! Way back around Halloween, I commented to my husband “she’s gotta cut that hair, then she’ll get pregnant.” I don’t know where that thought came from, but I’m marking it down as a hit ;) I’m feeling a girl for you, btw.

I loved spectrum essentials prenatal DhA. All those good omegas but not from a fish source so no fishy taste/breath afterwards. Cheapest place I’ve found it is vitacost.com. For the prenatal multivitamin I like rainbow light one a day. Pill is big but not huge and the taste wasn’t terrible. Those I order from Amazon.

ha! I thought the same thing about the hair, and just told a friend who’s been trying for a long time that she should maybe try cutting her hair (it’s super long)…I don’t know where I got it from either, just seems like it would give you an added boost somehow, w/o extra nutrients going to a long mane…she thought I was crazy, but got her hair cut the next day…but we’ll see! I also think it’s a girl…no good reason why.

First of all, you look absolutely radiant. Secondly, those family pictures of yours made me laugh so hard, the workmen at the house next door to mine actually stopped their hammering, paused for a moment, and said, “What’s that noise?”

11. julianna says

Glad to hear things are going well! The fatigue may be frustrating, but you look sooo much more well-rested in the 10-week photo than the 5-week. The extra rest is obviously agreeing with you.

For your clothes: have you tried a Bella Band? It’s a wide, stretchy piece of fabric that goes over your tummy and the top of your pants. It lets you wear your pre-pregnancy pants unbuttoned and unzipped without anyone knowing, and keeps them from falling down. Also, if your shirts ride up too much over your bump, it helps cover up. It just looks like you’ve layered your clothes over a tank or T-shirt. There are a ton of places that sell the original Bella Bands, plus I’m pretty sure Target now has a cheaper knockoff — I don’t know what the Target version is called, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find.

12. Ashley says

So glad to hear you’re done with the first trimester! We prayed for you every night. Hope the Dr. appt goes well!

Thank you for the update. I usually go to a nurse practitioner for my girly stuff so when I was preggo I went from one OBGYN to another (in the same office, they had like 7) Until I settled on one (and he wasn’t even for sure going to deliver the baby. But he was on duty the night I delivered thank god!). I took vegetarian prenatal vits. No fishy smell at all. The are country life maxi pre natal. My husband did a TON of research and liked these best. I still have a few unopened bottles (you can totally have them just let me know, although they are 1 year old but say best by 12/12). Good Luck and Hang in there!

14. Anne says

Congrats! I am 19 weeks along, and just have to pass on my trick for prenatals. Keep them in the freezer, and take them right before bed. You’ll never smell that fishy smell!

Take care, and I hope you continue feeling well (lucky girl!).

15. Ryann says

Hey Katie!

You are so adorable. I hope to look as cute as you one day. I love following your blog and love your honesty.

PS. I was CONVINCED you were one of the people in my workout DVDs for TURBO JAM. It turns out her name is Holly, not Katie. I was very disappointed. But you definitely have a doppelganger. :)

xoxo- Ryann

16. angel says

Random thoughts:
    1 You are just adorable
    2 I would have a hard time deciding between the two types of pics also. Bunny are are super cute. But I love your little smirk in the other one too.
    3 My vitamins were so gross. I took them before bed because they always made me burp. But sometimes it was still so bad in the middle of the night the burps would totally wake me up and make me puke.

17. patty says

you look so pretty especially with the bunny ears Katie :-)…
    Did you post a photo of your new living room carpet.. I think i may have missed it… I’ve been waiting… Inquiring minds need to know…
    thank you for this blog… loove love love it… xo P

18. Angie says

Hey! Sometimes gummy vitamins leave out some of the stronger tasting ones, so they won’t taste bad. (Some of the B’s I think). So just check and make sure whatever you buy next has everything you need! :)

I’m 15 weeks pregnant and have been very sick so I switched from the Target brand of Prenatals to BNexa vitamins (with prescription through my OB, but they gave me TONS of samples).

BNexa is brand new and FILLED with B6 and Ginger root to help settle a nauseous stomach. I was so sick (this is my 3rd) and this is the first vitamin in 3 pregnancies that actually settled my stomach rather than made it more upset. I was very grateful they finally came up with something like this!

It might be something for you to consider when you visit with your OB.

I love what you said about doing right by your blessings. That is such a true true statement. I agree with everyone else’s comments–you are such a cute pregnant momma! I’m sure that you’re exhausted but I know you are a good mom to Will! Still praying for you and the baby! :)

Oh the picture was ten weeks – but I’m at twelve weeks. But apparently there is some discrepancy on when the first trimester actually ends.

21. Jen says

First of all, you look amazing!

Secondly, it TOTALLY gets better! Being tired in the first trimester can really take a toll on your patience. Having a toddler can take a toll on your patience. Having a hubby gone from sun-up to sun-down can take a toll on your patience. Hang in there…

And third, if you can still be funny writing a post about feeling like a failure, then I’d say you are golden! What mom doesn’t relate to what you are saying? I know I sure do! In fact, just yesterday a friend was walking by the house, and I invited her inside. I immediately regretted that decision. My house had apparently barfed all over itself and there were toys, stripped off clothes (from my toddler, not me!), disgusting dishes, and dog hair everywhere! It was not pretty.

Anyway, I love reading your blog because I love how real you are. Keep it up!

Oh man, I totally just jumped on that website and put my due date in and basically read every day from now until June – ha! Love it!

23. MICHELLE says

My baby was born on November 5th. :)
    You look beautiful!

Unsolicited advice – I’m not going to lie – having 2 kids is not easy! Do your best to keep on being positive and adjust to all of these changes in your life. Rest whenever you can. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

24. Cindy says

Yay! I am due November 2nd with my first. I am so excited to share my pregnancy journey with you. Congrats!!

I got that vitamin dragon breath, too! Awful! My doc switched up my prenatals thankfully. However, those had so many minerals in them I got a kidney stone. :( That was worse than labor – in my humble opinion. Now I’m taking iron pills with vitamin C and folic acid. I didn’t have my first doctors appointment until 10 weeks, don’t feel bad about no getting there yet. The doctors and midwives won’t see a woman until her pregnancy is considered “viable” here. I don’t like that term, but that’s what they say. Glad you found a doc willing to attempt a VBAC! Hard to find a doc that will do that!

26. Molly says

Beautiful Picture, Katie!

Great goal of a VBAC!!! I both a C-Section for my first pregnancy, and a VBACS for my second. We did just what you did, found a doctor who was experienced and comfortable with that, and geared to helping us be successful. It was a wonderful experience. I pray that yours is too!

Blessings to your growing family!

27. Stephanie Elise says

Looking gorgeous!!! As for the prenatal vitamins and fish mouth, put them in the freezer! Seriously. The fish oil freezes and defrosts in your stomach so the fishiness is not as bad.

28. Rebecca says

Have you ever seen the tip on pinterest using a rubberband to give you an extra “inch” in the pants? you literally loop it through the eye where the button would go then loop it back around over the button! Works GREAT, just wear a longish shirt to cover the rubberband and unzipped zipper!

PS your hair is growing SUPER fast! No wonder you donate! I have been growing mine for THREE YEARS after chopping it off when I was pregnant, hormonal and delusional. It still hasn’t gotten past my shoulder blades!

29. stephanie says

The prenatal vitamins from target are wonderful….I’m 9 weeks pregnant and I love them! Good luck!

30. Erin says

You’re so darling — and still so tiny! Your baby bump looks no bigger than a Chipotle lunch so far. But seriously, lady hormone fluctuations are proof God is a dude!

31. Julie says

I agree with everyone else – you look beautiful! I’m enjoying this next phase of your family – thank you so much for sharing so honestly!!

32. Elizabeth says

I also love the Target prenatal gummies…they smell awful if you sniff the container, so don’t, but they taste great. My only word of warning is they don’t have any iron in them like regular prenatal vitamins, so just make sure you are aware and take additional iron supplements if needed! Love your baby updates :-)

33. Priscilla says

You are so stinkin’ cute in that picture! I want to copy your hair cut!

Also, you are not failing! I have the same doubts about myself as a wife & a teacher all the time – & I don’t even have kids yet! Oh boy….

34. Sarah says

Im due the week after you! how fun!
    ask your doctor for samples of VITAFOIL…its a prenatal with dha and everything in it but its smaller, easy to take and has extra folic acid in it…no more nasty fishy tablets!

35. Katie says

CONGRATS Katie!!!
    I have a 10 week old and your photos and updates are already making me miss being pregnant!
    Pregnancy sure does suit you- You look amazing!!! I can see the glow even through photos! As a fellow Katie who struggled to get pregnant I just cannot say congratulations enough and also a HUGE thank you for sharing your struggles, Im sure it always wasn’t easy but you have no idea how helpful (even after the fact – as I was pregnant when you shared your struggles) it is to know you’re not the only one who doesn’t get knocked up just by smiling at your husband! haha ;p