Painting Rocks

This is not rocket science (haha…get it ‘rock’ – et science!?  um yeah.  awkward)

Basically I was just trying to get crafty with Will.  switch it up from our normal paint on paper routine.

I stole these rocks from our landscaping.  Totally worth it.

Will gives it a very excited thumbs up.

I picked three similar colors so it wouldn’t turn brown.  that would be kinda anticlimactic – brown paint on a brown rock.

While he was doing that, I got half of one done myself.  I think it would work well as a door stop :)

And I’ll give you a clue on what we are doing with this other one :)

I also took a few other photos that could be cute printed out and attached to the card to accompany the rock….

And of course, Will’s little signature would go right next to this photo :)

What are some other father’s day gift ideas for your really little one to create?  Or just for everyday?  I’m trying to build up an arsenal of summer funness….

Comments

1. I love rocks too! says

Awesome! I have rocks painted like a duck and a dog that my kids made. I sprayed some Shellaq/polyurethane-type stuff on them (long time ago…I forget now) and put them out in my flowerbeds. Every time we’re out on the patio, we look at them and keep saying we need to paint more “animals” for our rock zoo.

When I was about four years old a friend and I painted rocks and then went door-to-door trying to sell them (very safe small town). We made a little bit of money. The saddest response was from my grandmother who said, “I have a driveway full of rocks, why would I want to buy one?” Practical woman, but still crushing for a little kid.

3. Samantha says

My little guys (now 3 and 4) love painting with trucks – roll the truck wheels through some fingerpaint, then roll them on the paper to make tracks. Fun! We also use recycled stuff for “stamps” – yogurt containers for different sized circles, etc.

That is adorable! I don’t have any little ones yet, but I used to love to draw pictures for my dad when I was a little one!!

We did a little rock painting project with my niece a while back. She added the names of our family members to each one (one per rock), then we used them as placeholders at the dinner table and left her in charge of the seating arrangements. Fun for everyone and super cheap.

Since Will loves paint, what about making handprint animals? I saw it on Pinterest, and you turn his handprints into an animal… like using white paint and making a cow with black finger prints for spots. You’d have to draw a tail and make a face where Will’s thumb is. Tons of ideas are online: pigs, giraffes, elephants, a fish with wavy fins.

7. Liz says

That is such a cute idea for Fathers Day! When I was little I used to spend a few weeks at my Grandparents house and my Grandma and I would always go out in the woods, find rocks, and paint them for presents for me to give people. Brings back such good memories!

8. Molly says

I teach 4 year olds in a pre-school. We had a Daddy donut Day this spring, and each student painted their dad’s a rock. I glued felt to the bottom of each, and wrote You Rock, Dad! on the top of the rock with a black sharpie. I lightly sprayed a thin coat of sealer on them. It made them shiny and pretty, pretty. The dads loved them. The kids were proud!

9. Jessica says

Question – since the paints aren’t water colors from the kid aisle, does it still wash off hands and clothes easily enough? I guess painting in the buff is always an option…

Yup! It does for us as long as you don’t let it sit in the clothing – but Will is kinda prissy when it comes to stuff on his hands like paint so as soon as a smidge gets on him, we quickly are notified of ‘the yuckies”.