Curb Appeal Chronicles – Numbers
Again….and I feel pretty dumb for having to repeat myself….please do not leave comments, text me or email me (or my friends) to tell me about the house number thing. If some crazy wants to find me…they can schedule an appointment and wait their turn like the rest of you fine folks. And yes – I thought it through…I went over it a million times…I scoured the message boards of Katie-haters that post step-by-step directions to our house…the conclusion was this….
I am not anonymous. We live in a world where I can get minute by minute location details on Lindsey Lohan. And I believe without a shadow of a doubt that I am kept safe only by the hand of God. and having an alarm system, nosy neighbors and weaponry can’t hurt (well, actually that last one can…but you know what I mean). So that being said…thanks for your concern…I hear you…now let’s move on.
Our curb appeal project is what’s up. Lowe’s Creative Ideas Magazine challenged us and we were all “It’s on like DonkeyKong”. We have been tackling the 20 or so feet of untouched goodness that is visible from our curb and so far we are doing a whole lotta taping and spraypainting. We vamped up the light fixtures…
Dontcha just love the action shots? We left it like this overnight….we are definitely getting the classy award this month from the neighborhood…I’d put money on it.
So I mentioned before that we removed the old sticker house numbers from the front of the mailbox. And seeing as how I really like Margaret our mail lady, I thought it would be only kind to correctly label our house with a proper plaque. So I ran to Lowe’s and got a cheap natural pine plaque (it cost about $6) and some 4″ Gatehouse house numbers in black (they were about $4 each). I went with the most plain basic numbers…none of those curly q’s or scripty fonts for us…they also aren’t modern…which is good because I think a super-modern look would clash with our traditional lights and the overall aesthetic of the house. I also pulled out my favorite stain – it’s dark Walnut by Minwax.
I decided to do a medium tone. I wanted the numbers to pop…but I didn’t want to risk going too light and lose that rich warm stain either. So bascially my method was to wipe on three stripes of stain with the sponge and then wipe the excess off with the paper towel. It gave it just enough time to soak in without becoming too dark.
I also did the sides and back just in case
Then I took it outside. I wanted the wood to acclimate to the heat…I have no idea why I thought this would help but I figured that if wood was like the pores on my face, it would need to adjust to the Georgia climate.
After three days of becoming one with the south, this bad boy was ready to be sealed. I could have used a varnish…but honestly, that sounded a little too much work for me and my very alien looking feet. Is it just me or does that look like a extra-terrestrial mated with a sasquatch? I swear I shave my legs.
Anyhoo…I decided in the name of EASE to just spray the plaque. NOTE: this product says to not spray stained wood. I am not responsible for your jacked up stained plaque. Peace out.
I strapped on my mask and aimed my Thompson’s Waterseal – giving the entire front side a very thin coat. Then I let it dry a few hours. Then I repeated it four times.
After it dried, it looked entirely the same. Nothing exciting to see here.
Then came time for the numbers. These were pretty much the most simple to attach…just a little tap with the hammer and a tighten with the screw driver and we had bonafide mailbox signage.
Now comes the attaching part….
Jeremy got some assistance (assistance = back hugs?!) from the sprinkler kid…
So here’s how we did it…
we marked our spots for drilling on the upper corners of the plaque….then using a 1/8 inch drill bit for masonry we went through the sign into the stone. (Jeremy was it 1/8 inch?)
Then we redrilled the stone holes just to make sure they were as deep as the screws.
Using 2.5 inch masonry screws, we screwed the sign directly into the stone. Since our stones were definitely not flush with one another, it took some patience to find where the sign hung flat and looked best from the road. It was kinda a balancing act.
We then took some furniture nailhead accent tacks and clipped off the tack part with pliers. I used some Liquid Nails to put the little brassy heads over the screw heads for a more finished look.
So there we have it – one finished mailbox and one finished number plaque. Let’s use lots of exclamation points to celebrate!!!!!!!!
The last task we had on our curb appeal list was actually the easiest…I wanted a tall plant next to the mailbox to hide the transition between our pavers and the neighbors. Jeremy liked the green – so we went with the cheapest plastic planter that was in stock at Lowe’s that was big and came in green. One $17 plant and two bags of potting soil later, we have a nice distraction from that weirdo corner.
Ready for before and afters? Watch out now – the subtely might stun you
I love the new bush. Isn’t it weird how just the littlest things can make you smile?! That bush (err tree?) makes me smile every single time I pull in the driveway.
It has the same affect on our our little Geisha…
And this photo is precisely why you never tell your kid to “smile”….he’s a looker, that one…
Seriously Katie…enough with the Will-as-a-Southern-Belle photos…
And this is just for kicks – but I thought it would be fun to look back at the front from last September and compare it to now….
Check out the roses!
They got much much bigger. Everything else is kinda okay. The hollies are better than the Lorapetalum. Not enough water I betcha.
But overall – not too shabby for 8 months of growing…
So that’s it folks – our curb appeal chronicles are coming to an end. Thanks for tagging along on the adventure with us…now back to our regularly scheduled program of cheese, randomness and awkward situations with the Bowers