Pinterest Challenge – TeePee (no, not toilet paper!)

It’s time to stop pinning (well, just press pause momentarily because let’s be honest….my brain is pinning Jeremy’s hotness at all times)….and it’s time to start doing.  That’s what the Pinterest Challenge is all about :)

In the past, I tackled a decor project (the herringbone shim mirror), an art project (jellyfish watercolor), and tackled a freebie redo with spraypaint (an old window turned bathtub hanging).  And when we started emailing back and forth with the other gals that are cohosting this season’s PC – well, I realized that there is just no way I could do anything that could even compare to their awesomeness.  Afterall – it’s Michelle, Sherry & Kate…..these lovely bloggers are professionals.  So I thought…well, since I am a juvenile compared to them, I might as well take on a kid project.

It made perfect sense to make something for Will….and since he is obsessed with tents (yes, he screams to go sit in the tent at Lowe’s – and it’s just one of those tented deck pavillions)…I thought, a teepee would be the perfect gift to my favorite two-year-old.  I had quite a few already pinned and I’ll just show ya a couple…

This one is from Land of Nod and I think that it’s actually not an unbelievable price considering it’s made with dowel rods and heavy duty canvas.

The other really inspirational one is from Baby Blackbird…and it’s simplicity really struck a chord with me.  Plus – how cute is that bird house mobile in the back….genius.

I liked the fact that both teepees were pretty simple….plain canvas that wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg.   I also liked the dowel rod look – but after pricing them, well, let’s just say that this girl isn’t up for paying more than $6 per leg.  Dude.  That’s $40 just for the sticks.  That’s a lot of bacon.  Instead we picked up six square 2×2 (which are really 1.5×1.5) for less than $2 a piece.

I tied them up in the living room to get started on my teepee.

Yes – I couldn’t find a piece of string so I used the nametag string from the Haven conference.  Use what you got people :)

Then I took an old drop cloth that I had stashed in my sewing box and just wrapped it around to see if I could use that.

It touched the floor in the back but the front was a little short.  So I simply laid the dropcloth on the floor, folded it in half hamburger-wise, and cut it like a semi-circle so that the hem would be even all the way around.

But with the trim, the teepee was looking a little more Steve Urkel than Jaleel White.

So once again, I dipped into my stash of fabrics and found this navy canvas that would be heavy duty enough to finish off the highwaters.

I wish I could say that I was very technical about how I did this step…but I wasn’t.  I just pinned it onto the drop cloth so that the navy part looked even and then sewed it in place.

After a little additional pinning and sewing, I set it up in Will’s room for the big reveal.  I think it was a success…

So that was my little PC Project – and I am personally super excited to see what the other gals came up with and you can check them out too….

Also, I’d love to see your projects if you played along too (each host has the option to throw a linky party and I’d love if you linked up below so that I can see what you did and enjoy an afternoon of project surfing!)

Here are the instructions if you are a linky-party newbie…

• click on the blue “Add Your Link” button at the bottom of this post – it has a blue frog head on it add a link to your PC project blog post in the url field (please do not link to your home page) for “name” write a short descriptive name for your project (e.g. “Antiqued Window”)
  • pretty pretty please with baconsauce on top to remember to link in the body of your post to the Pinterest item and the original source of the photo on Pinterest as well as back to me and this editions hosts above – it’s just a big ole fashioned linky love fest!
  • Oh and if nobody told you today…you look stunning today!
  • If you’d rather just link over to your project in the comment section, feel free to do that – or even add a link to a free photo sharing site like Flickr with your pics if you don’t have a blog (remember to set the gallery to public so we can all see it).

Now let’s get to the party!

Comments

#1 Teepee totally awesome!! I think the extra strip of color is perfect on the bottom…

#2 When did you make a globe-mobile?!?!?!?!?!!??! I LOVE IT – and I’m a faithful follower, so I can’t believe that I missed it’s introduction in a previous post. I LOVE IT – please give us some details!!

2. Barb says

Great job on the teepee!!

I can’t be the only one wondering… have you found out the gender yet? I am really excited to know since I won’t get the chance to find out the gender of my baby til late august.

How adorable is that tent! I just love the magic of a special little hiding place in a kids room. I remember draping blankets over every possible piece of furniture to make forts. So much fun. I’m definitely saving this idea for later! Thanks for hosting the challenge. I painted a huge 4’x4′ canvas for our new bright, colorful dining room. Keep the challenges coming!

4. Katie says

Katie Bower… I LOVE this TeePee!!! I actually just got directions to make one for my little babe’s first birthday, and I was planning to use a drop cloth too :) I never thought about adding extra fabric around the bottom for a two-tone look. So cute!!

Love it! My mother in law made one using PVC pipes and had drilled holes in them to run some ribbon/string. She then sewed each panel, alternating between two fabrics. It’s great. But if you use it outside, it can get hot in there! Especially with a little one. My daughter got it for her 2nd birthday, so I understand how Will is obsessed!

6. Amy says

Love it! When my little guy gets a little bigger, I’d like to do something similar. PS – I recognize the blanket in the final reveal. Didn’t you use it in Henry’s newborn shoot?

I did! It’s one of the only shoots I’ve used it in but love that color and that is what this tent needed – a little pop :)

Love it! When my cousins and I were little and stayed at our grandmas during the summer she made us teepees with bamboo sticks and vinyl tablecloths. She was such a trend starter, that woman. ;)

Anywho, love it. Will looks cute as always and his room photos make my ovaries scream “let’s make a boy” My husband will thank you for that.

xo

Very cute, Katie!! I have a few of these teepees pinned too and I think they are so adorable. I know my boys would love one, and you made it look pretty easy, so maybe I’ll actually tackle this project at some point!

9. Olivia says

The teepee looks great Katie!! And, I think it’s really funny that I showed my husband “the teepee that Katie made” and he said “Katie?”. My answer… “yeah, she’s one of my friends” ;-) Great job friend!!

Katie, I love this! My son is a year younger than Will (almost to the day – he was born on 4/12!), and I will definitely be saving this post for future reference. I had seen so many online, and thought that we could maybe try to do it ourselves. Thanks for the inspiration and the tutorial! I may have to hire you out for the sewing, though ;)

And PS – we have the same knit zebra in my son’s room! I love him (and my son!).

11. beth says

This is AMAZING! One of my favorite posts of yours! This came out so, so good. Between your awesome new table and this teepee, I’d say this pregnancy is inspiring some super great work over there! Way to go, Mama!

12. Arthi says

That looks dead good!! :) Ive always wanted one ….it seems so straight forward and wanna give it a go! But a small doubt- can it handle a toddlers wear and tear??
    Cheers.

Thanks for having all these people link up to your website. I found so many new sites to check out, as well as new ideas to try. Thanks again!

What an adorable “play tent” and what a perfect fit in Will’s room. I’m a little jealous because I want one for me forget the kids. :)
    Also, I love the hanging globes over his crib. Unique idea and what better way to get him started on world geography. :)

Hi Katie,

I have been reading your blog for quite a while now. I don’t comment very often (if at all) but you are very inspiring! So inspiring that I decided to start a blog to showcase things I make inspired by items I pin on pinterest and things I come up with on my own.

The blog will be home to food, crafts, jewelry, art, and home décor type things. I am commenting now to let you know that I have mentioned you in my blog’s first post and linked back to this post. If you would rather I remove your name please let me know and I will do so! You can see the post here: http://2paine.blogspot.com/

Thanks for being such an inspiration,

Deese

16. Katie says

Hey Katie,
    Do you think you could explain a bit on how you attached the fabric to the frame? I think this is such a cute idea and want to set-up in my little boy’s room. Thanks!

I wrapped the fabric around the posts and then decided where I wanted the door. I pinned the two overlapping pieces together at the top and tightened till it was closed at the top and tight around the frame…thne pinned from the top of the door till I had a tight circle around the tied-together-part of the posts (don’t allow too much space in that hole because it’ll be what holds it together).