I loved that movie. Which is why it’s a perfect title for this post. It’s all about sanding. The never-ending-our-most-abhored-task in the history of the world. Just like in the movie, when we were done, we were yelling “YOU’RE KILLING ME SMALLS!”
Seriously though. we almost died. or killed one another. whatever came first.
So here is the last time you saw our cabinets….
They were emptied out and we removed all the fronts and doors…
The very first day we started sanding, I was chipper. (below is a true picture of pregnant-katie-at-work…most days I am makeupless-hair-in-a-pony-and-wearing-something-overly-stretchy).
Jeremy helped a little at first but for the most part my sciatica was parked on a old blanket with sandpaper in hand. (yes, we looked for masks before I started but sent Jer out for more. We always recommend wearing masks during sanding for a lot of reasons…one of them is it causes gross booger problems!). Please ignore the weird zombie foot.
These cabinets were a pain because of all the little grooves and crevices. We really have our hearts set on this looking as professional as possible and lasting a LONG time and quite the toddler beat-downs…so prep is KEY. Everything I read about cabinet refinishing said that the prep is 70% of the work.
Will got in on the action at one point and it was hilarious how he would say “go wit da gain mommy”….(translation: go with the grain mommy)…and “Weil workin hard” (translation: Will working hard). All talk. He ditched me in my time of need about twenty seconds in.
I tuckered out 30ish cabinet doors in…and we still had 20+ to go…so I told Jer he could use the sander (I was doing it all by hand because I was afraid of our old sander making grooves in the door fronts – it didn’t but I was biting my dusty nails the entire time).
It took about a week. I’m not gonna lie…that’s a long time just for sanding. We are slow. It’s definitely hard with Jer having only a couple hours at home each night. We have to budget the time…while still trying to eat dinner, have a little down time and not neglect Will (aka Popcorngate) or push me past what my physical limits will allow. It’s tough. I’m definitely not complaining…just being able to have jobs and tackle a renovation are huge blessings. Not everyone has those things. I don’t take it for granted…and it just translates into things taking longer.
The frames of the cabinets also got a sanding (a la Jeremy & his power sander after I checked my control freak at the door)….
See those two drawer fronts? Yup…one is glued to the drawer (?) so we sanded it in place and the other was nailed and glued in place…yet another little surprise the previous owner Napolean had for us.
So the cabinets were roughed up.
And speaking of rough…just check out the trimwork in the kitchen…
Those little cracks in the paint eventually got bigger and chippier and peelier. That’s a word. And we have our suspicions why. Paint chips and peels for multiple reasons….exposure to moisture, cheap latex paint, no primer, the potential causes are endless. Its just so sad that this house is not that old and it is already looking like it needs a Botox budget.
Painting the trim wasn’t on our Phase 2 to-do list but we decided that since the rest of the kitchen would be in shambles, we might as well. So I spent a day scraping and sanding.
My trusty mud knife worked well. I should have put a plastic bag over the vent till I cleaned up…but yeah…#diyfail
After the chippy stuff was scraped, sanding is necessary to make it smooth. I trust my fingers (not just my eyes) to feel it smooth. I rub it in all the different ways to make sure I can’t feel any little transition.
And because no post is complete without a shot of real life….here’s our draped kitchen…with Will dining in the living room. Random pistachio break
I would be giving you the rundown on the rest of the prep work but to be honest…I did very little. Jer did most of it. The wiping, I helped. The tack clothing, maybe ten doors. The deglosser, I was outta the house (since the deglosser was UBER strong and stated that it caused birth defects, I headed for the door giving Jeremy a big thumbsup and a warning to wear a mask….no need to damage the future little Bowers!)
So in general, we decided that the best prep route for our cabinets is this:
- Remove all doors, drawer fronts and hardware
- Sand lightly all surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper
- Wipe them all with a clean damp towel
- Tack Cloth all surfaces to remove all residue
- Degloss fronts of cabinet doors and drawer fronts
- Place upright in a clean place when dry
For our trimwork, here’s what we did for prep:
- Scrape all chipped or flaking paint
- Sand lightly scraped areas with 80 grit sandpaper
- Sand scraped surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper
- Wipe all trim with a clean damp towel
- Tack Cloth all surfaces to remove all residue
- Degloss all surfaces
Next up….getting ready for PAINT!