All the Trimmings

Complaining.  That’s me.  I can’t tell you how many times I complained about this kitchen.  Then I complained about the hard workings steps of getting it to the point of spraying.  Then I complained about how I didn’t get to participate in the spraying.  I know. I know.  I’m a bundle of fun.

But I took this opportunity to lavish Jeremy with loads of compliments and encouragement.  It was all him.  He took the kitchen from this:

to this:

For the cabinets, he primed with Zinsser’s Spray primer.   Like I said before, we wanted to use oil based primer but we didn’t wanna clean up the sprayer or brushes….so we splurged a little extra for the spray cans.  (for more cabinet painting prep steps go to the bottom of this post)

The trimwork around the doors, crown molding, doors, and baseboards all got sprayed with Valspar’s Ultra SemiGloss paint and primer in one in Ultra White.  We have always just used Ultra White with no color or tint added…even in our old house…because I have a terrible memory and couldn’t recall certain paint colors if my life was on the line.

After Jer was done, I got to run inside to see the first of the white-ish kitchen.  And yes, I think the spray can fumes went to his head.

I love the paint inbetween the fingers look.  It’s hot.  It’s like female DIYer catnip.  Meow.

He actually had to do two coats on the trim.  It was a light yellowish tan…so the bright white is like a breath of fresh air.  (which looks like that is what my boyfriend needs after all that work/paint fumes).

The trim was pretty much done after two coats of the sprayed semi-gloss.  The cabinets however are a different story.  These suckers are still not done.  I’m not joking.

We started out by using the kitchen as a spray zone…so the primer went on in there.

Jer set up little scrap blocks from 2×4’s to prop them off the floor so the paint wouldn’t pool or stick them to the paper.

So not much info, huh?  Probably because I wasn’t there.  But it sure is nice to have the trim transformed.  And honestly, it’s nice to just focus on how Jeremy works so hard.  It’s easy to forget with life getting in the way.  He’s even willing to get loopy for me.  That could have been the spray cans…or it could just be from being married to me.  Can’t ever tell.

For past kitchen info, here’s some recaps…

PHASE 1

PHASE 2

Comments

1. Jessie says

Atta Boy, Jeremy!!!

Katie, you got yourself a keeper there!!!!

Now I wanna go home and spray paint cabinets! But the prep work is the crappy part. But it only makes the outcome much more sweeter!!!

2. Jane says

Wow! Girl..I dont how you are dealing with so much being 9 months preggo!

I am due in November too and I feeling so overwhelmed with just getting baby things..FTM here! I have a question for you. I know you used a pack n play for will in your bedroom. Did you have to get a separate mattress for the pack n play ? How comfortable is it for the baby to sleep on it for quick naps?

We used the pack n play bassinet feature. It was firm and we brought it to our pediatricians office (weird I know) to see if it was fine for the baby to sleep on…she said the firmer is fine. And Will had no problem with it. I was more worried about SIDS with a softer surface so I’d rather him be uncomfortable and alive than comfy and out of our lives. I know a lot of people do different stuff though…

My mom gave us a matress to put in our for our daughter (but she was over 1) and when we travel she sleeps in it MUCH better than she did without it. I’ll definitely use it again with our next babe when s/he gets older!

Is he back to working from home or are you guys just cramming it all into your weekends? It would sure be nice to have more time with him around with a new little one coming!

Just cramming it in. I wish he was gonna be able to work from home again but realistically speaking, it’s probably over forever. I agree though – it sure would be nice to have more than two hours with him at night and then our weekends…but I can’t complain…some folks (like our dedicated military fams) get way less!

Congrats on getting rid of the dingy old trim! I love the fresh white paint too.

Do you think you will have all of the cabinets painted soon? Speaking for those of us that are bored at work, we’re excited to see how it all turns out!

Also, when you are due? Exciting times in your house!

What a change! It’s going to look amazing. I am using stuff called “Peel Stop” on our 60 year old rebuilt garage door today-one of our LAST house projects woohoo!
    We are officially FOR SALE, so finger crossed someone wants to buy a great older home in Madras, AKA podunkville, Oregon :)

YES! A kitchen update! I have been checking back obsessively waiting to see more progress! I may be *almost* as excited as you. almost. So it’s looking great. Almost as great as a plate of bacon. Thank you for sharing! Will continue to check back. Shocker. I know.
    -Jolie

You may have said this already and I missed it, but what are you doing about the back splash? Obviously you are getting rid of it but I didn’t realize that you weren’t keeping it until I saw it wasn’t covered up and has been sprayed now :)

Yup. We are replacing it! Since it is a really porous travertine type tile, it just wasn’t getting clean. Combine that with a bad installation and regrouting it in certain places with different color grout and I decided to pull the plug.

8. Autumn says

I am a meticulous and hardworking person but I just don’t know if I would ever be able to pull something like this off, let alone while pregnant. So impressive! And bravo to your hubby!

9. Sarah-Nadine says

Yay finally the white trim has arrived. You must be a very happy pregnant lady right now :-). How anybody could think beige trim looks good is beyond me….

Looks amazing thus far and I can’t wait to see the final product. Good luck

10. Kelly says

Wow!! That looks like an insanely big job!! Hoping for a big payoff!!
    Good for you for tackling it. Your DH deserves a medal. Can’t wait to see the big reveal.

11. Oregonienne says

Lady, I’ve just spent the last couple days re-reading blog posts of yours from the past couple years and after snorting so awkwardly this morning my co-worker felt the need to check in on me I finally mucked up the courage to comment. Apologies in advance for any run-ons, misspellings, or inappropriate puns.

We also have “really nice” wood cabinets that we hate. I always feel the need to apologize for not liking our bimbo kitchen (looks really nice, but has absolutely no sense) when people ooh and ahh over it, so huge kudos from me to you for having the balls to change it and get what you want. One day we’ll get there, but for now I’ll happily live vicariously through you. And keep my fingers crossed that I’m not prego when we finally take the plunge. Ha!

12. Cassondra says

It’s amazing what a difference primer can make! Changing something white always gets me excited, we just updated some outlets and switches and even without the plates and still nasty painted walls (we’re just starting a reno on our new house) and I get so excited about the little white plugs and new switches! The room already looks 10 x better to me!

13. Sabrina says

Great Job! Did you guys find it was easier to spray? Even after all the prep work? We have miles of tan moulding to paint and I groan everytime I look at it. I hate painting trim!

The trim was super easy to spray…so says Jer. He said that as long as the prep work was done, he would do the trim in every room.

14. Jenna says

!!!! can’t tell you how much I am on the edge of my seat waiting for this transformation!! You guys have guts! :-) My one question… what have you guys been eating while the kitchen is in mayhem?

And… when is the due date? for the kitchen that is?? :-)

I actually have a post coming about how we survived without an oven or a stovetop…it’s a lot of microwaving. And the due date is hopefully before the baby is born. It’s our only goal.

This is bringing back so many memories that I repressed of when we, and by we I mean the contractors, painted our kitchen. It really is so worth it and you’ll forget all about the mess and wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. One thing I noticed the painters do when they painted the cabinet doors was to screw them into a 2×4 at the top and bottom of the cabinet door. The top 2×4 laid on a sawhorse so the cabinets could be sprayed from the front and back since they were standing up. There’s also no puddling of paint or having to wait for one side to dry. I thought that was such a great idea.

16. Erin says

It looks great so far!! But I”m confused…..if you didn’t want to mess with cleaning up oil based paint then what was in the spray gun Jeremy was holding? was that for other paint jobs? and you did use the spray paint cans on the cabinets or did you fill the gun he was holding with the oil based spray paint cans?????

The trim got waterbased paint. It’s easier to clean up. And the spray cans were only for priming the cabinetry…the trimwork was not primed and was filled with the waterbased paint from the bucket. Does this make any sense?

17. Sarah says

I am thrilled for this update. Each day I get to my computer the first thing I do is see if you have your kitchen update up. I am impressed! And cant wait to get home and do some of the cool stuff I have learned from you guys! Unfortunately there is no Home Depot in Afghanistan or I would totalyl redo my living quarters!

This is amazing! I can’t believe you guys are tackling this when you’re so far along, but I guess it’s better to do it now then when you have two little ones in the house!

Looks great already! I just wanted to say though…I think that Bullseye 123 is water based, not oil based…at least it is here in Australia. The oil based Zinnser primer is called Cover Stain and the Shellac one (my favourite) is called BIN (sticks to ANYTHING=awesome!)

Can’t wait to see it all done!

xx Karen

20. Miranda says

HAHA! Jeremy’s a hoot! Kitchen’s looking great. Can’t wait to see it all finished. White cabinets are my favorite… Any chance you could send Jeremy to my casa next? I have some golden oak with his name written all over it.. I will rub your sciatica.. Wait. What? Nevermind. That was creepy.. haha.

21. Brandy says

I love, love, love the gorgeous white trim Katie! Have you decided what color you’re going to paint the walls yet? You may have already said and I just didn’t catch it. I’m so excited for you to have this finished so you don’t have to worry about it with a sweet little baby!

22. Shauna says

How are things coming along with the kitchen???! Every day I check in hoping to see an update, but so far you are teasing us with posts about going to the fair and Halloween decor. I guess I’ve watched WAY TOO MUCH HGTV because I’m now conditioned to expect to see a finished project in 30-60 minutes max!!!

By the way…. Will is adorable and reminds me so much of my son!! They even kinda resemble each other, especially in the pictures where he is wearing the orange Old Navy t-shirt. My son has the same shirt and they look like they could be related. ;o)

haha…Seriously – tv ruins us. They have an entire crew that does a home in two weeks and condenses it down to be a thirty minute episode. Not fair for Jeremy when my expectation is the same :)

23. Chris says

I noticed that the primer isn’t solid white when you were finished. Is that how you normally how you do it and it is sufficient? I’m a bit OCD and would have done it solid, but would love to save the money if its enough for it to stick. By the way, did it turn out to be water based like the Aussie lady said? and has it mattered for durability?

Congrats on the birth of Leonard. Happy Easter too.

Oh yes…primer is for the paint to stick…not for coverage. If there was knots or heavy bleed areas then I would use more primer but in this case, it’s not needed. So far, our cabinets and trim have held up really well once they are fully cured.