Swag & Chainlink

This post title sounds like either a.  an indie rock band or 2.  a hipster tatoo shop located in the art district or d.  a brand of herbal tea.  What are you drinking?  Oh just a piping hot cup of swag and chainlink with a dash of honey.  It’s devine.  (just so everyone knows…for some odd reason, whenever I am drinking hot tea, I always describe it as devine.  except it comes out deeeeeeviiiiiine with a British accent.  be warned.  it’s very annoying.)

I don’t know how I got off subject….ohrightI’mpregnant…but let’s get back to it.  Swag and chainlink.  This will all make sense soon.

Remember our outdoor patio area?  It’s this one below our deck…

Well…that red plaid rug isn’t an outdoor rug.  It had to go.  It was getting bleached out by the sun and it was starting to smell from the mildew.  I wasn’t too heartbroken since it only cost me a couple bones at the Goodwill and I was just using it as a placeholder rug anyway.  But I did google the heck out of outdoor rugs.

I scoured craigslist for a deal.  I bookmarked my favorite styles on all my favorite rug shops.  I checked every rug in every store in a twenty mile radius.  No dice.  I was getting a little frustrated.  Then it happened.  SALE TIME.  I  love end of the season sales.  But even with the sales, getting a rug that was at least 6’x8′ for under $100 (that was my predetermined budget for the rug) was proving difficult.  Then I saw this bin at the local Lowe’s…

The only problem was that they only had one 5×7 chainlink rug in the bin and I would need two to make it big enough.  So I went hunting in the store.  I don’t know why but I was convinced that there was two.  I call it my SSS…shopping sixth sense :)  Mine is highly developed after years of development, weight training exercises and tactical experimentation.  Finally I saw it.  The awol rug.  It was already opened but still rolled up…hanging out in the corner with the bird feeders.

And now my two rugs are on the patio.  I love them.  Because they don’t have a border, we were able to just butt them up next to one another.  Yes, I was very excited to use the word butt :)  Immaturity at it’s finest.

The seam isn’t perfect but I don’t care.  I actually like having two smaller rugs…so if something spills, it is more manageable to move.  Afterall – Jer is only home a couple waking hours every day so muscle is a novelty around here.

So our chainlink rug was in place.  love it.  bam.

Next up…mood lighting.  Here’s the swag people….

Prior to our patio changes, we had one string of lights stapled up.  One.  It didn’t go all the way around the deck.  Just stopped right there above Jer’s head.  They were up for my sister’s wedding and we never took them down.  oh and they weren’t ours.  The string of lights actually belonged to my mom.

These are some of the only pics I could find with the old lights.  Will was stomping poppers.  That’s a treat (and workout) around these parts.

About two years ago I found a clearance section at Lowe’s with umbrella lights.  They were marked down from around ten bucks per package to $2 a package.  So I bought eight.  I figured that we could use them eventually somewhere.  They have been in a plastic christmas storage bin since that time.  Then we bought this house and I remembered that we had all those outdoor lights.

We planned out how much swag each needed to do the whole deck and clipped them all together.  Jeremy used a staple gun to attach each string to the underside of the deck.  It was funny because we didn’t want to staple while the electricity was still running through it.  So Jer was on the ladder holding the string till I approved.  Then I unplugged it.  He stapled.  I plugged back in.  And then we did it all over again and nobody died.  In hindsight, cuphooks would have been less stressful :)  I love the round bulbs.

The ambience is awesome at dusk and later.  And I figure if we ever get tired of the swag look, we can always pop out the strings and staples and do a more tailored straight look.  Right now I am digging the swaggy look.

So pretty cute, right?!  Dare I say it….deeeeeeviiiiiine?

p.s.  The folks over at the baby guessing game website decided to post an interview of us…and give some details on what you can win if you guess the little baby’s info/due date/blood type correctly.  Ok ok…not blood type.  but you get the idea.   Click here to go over there and read how perfectly boring we really are :)

Comments

1. Jamie says

Hi Katie!
    I have the same rug under my kitchen table and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Just wanted to let you know, do NOT use a regular upright vacuum on it. If you do, you will have threads start to pull out and it look awful. My mom told me what was causing it and after I started using my handheld Orek vacuum on it I had no problems. Just thought you’d like to know.

2. Brenna says

LOVE IT! Such little changes with big effect! BTW I think the plant (pic 3rd from the bottom) peed when it saw the finished product! ;)

I love the new rug and the umbrella lights. We’re building a new house and are going to have a covered patio out back so I’m storing away ideas for our new space and yours will definitely be on my inspiration board. One question though – where are your lights plugged in and what, if anything, did you do to hide the cord running down from the porch?

4. ren says

great lighting can transform a space in such a magical way! great job katie (and boyfriend), love the rug too! its deeeeeviiiiinnnne <3

5. Amanda S. says

Loooove the lights! I have a teeny tiny back patio (like 6′ x 7′, cause I’m in the city) but I might try and do this and swing them through some trees.

6. nina says

wow, it really looks great under there! Normally under deck spaces are like spider zoos, but I’d actually want to hang out in that area! Good job!

7. Ofelia, México City says

I love the lights and new rug. I did the same thing this morning: putting togheter two no edges rugs in my bedrrom. They work like a charm!

8. Erin says

What kind of bulbs are in your drapey lights? I tried to create the same look in our porch, but I could only string three sets of lights together unless they were the LED type, which look more stark and fluorescent-y than I would like. Did you stick to the 3-string maximum, or do you have them plugged in multiple places? Very pretty!

I think we did four together because of the layout of where we could run the extension cords. And I have no idea bout the bulbs…whatever came in the strings?

9. Geri Hand says

We live down the road from you in Grayson, GA and have a similar deck situation. A couple of years ago we installed an under-roof system and I LOVE IT!! Under the deck fells like a whole new living space. No more drips. I think we paid a bunch for it, but I think they now sell similar systems at Home Depot and Lowes. You shoul check it out.

This is my first time coming to your blog and I have to say… it’s deeevvviiiiiiiineeee :) No but really, super cute ideas. I really like those lights with the wood – looks really classy.

11. Paige says

Katie-

I love your patio! I work for a wholesale building supply company in NC, and when I saw your wonderful space, I thought of a new underdecking product we were shown. (http://qualityedge.com/about/underdecking) It is manufactured by one of our suppliers, and I’ve only seen samples, but it looks like a great product. My boss is planning to put it underneath his deck at the beach to provide a great outdoor living space for rainy days at the coast. The thing I like most about the product is that you don’t have to sacrifice the look of wood underneath the deck, which is one of my favorite features of your patio.

Just a thought! I hope this doesn’t come across as a sales pitch! I think it may be something people would be genuinely interested in. Thanks again for all of your great posts!

Paige

12. liz says

i am literally swooning. i’m so envious of this space, my heart is actually aching. ack!! i love it. it looks so cozy and inviting and beautiful!! nice work :)

i love love your outdoor space! the rugs are awesome and love your globe string lights too – we bought some this summer as well :)

xo julesinflats.com

14. Blair says

Did you use anything to keep the 2 rugs together and from moving around? I found a 3 x 5 I LOVE but it’s too small and the next size up is 5 x 8 so I’m thinking I will do the same thing. The problem is it’s going under my dining table so when the chairs move the rugs will move :(

15. Julie says

Hi !
    Love the chunky console table. Where did you guys buy it from?
    I have been looking for one that I like for a while now.
    Thanks !

16. Sarah says

AHHH!!! This looks amazing! We are in contract on our first home and it has a similar under the deck patio that I wasn’t sure what I could do to make cozy. This is so gorgeous! Do you have anything to prevent rain/water from above or is everything just outdoor friendly?

So glad my friend sent me over here! Your blog is gonna be great for this design-challenged gal! :)

17. Brittany says

I knnow these pictures are from last year but I absolutely love your porch and I am so jealous! Any idea where you got the side double-selved table at next to your rug? I love that table. I’m looking for something similar in my entry way

18. Christy Bui says

I’m starting to spark an interest in furniture and home decor in general and I was just wondering if your furniture was water resistant? What do you do about the carpet or the seat cushions when it rains or weather conditions get harsh?

19. Christine says

We’re installing a patio under our deck and I spotted your post…love everything about it! What type of bushes are in the bottom pic?

20. Ben says

The more important thing is that you have your own tennis court. Seriously what I would give to have that!