Sheet Rock & Roll

Do you call it sheetrock?  Or do you call it drywall?  Or maybe you refer to it as gypsum board?

We should take a poll.

Either way, my darling boy toy took the kitchen and was able to finish installing the drywall (that’s what we call it) in a jiffy.  This is another episode of OPERATION HEART OF THE HOME: We now have walls edition.  Before it looked like this…

Remember we had to remove it when the tile was demo’ed?  And then we painted the walls gray?  And then cracked the whip at Will, reminding him that the windows were next.  Chop Chop Kid :)

Well, before I had a chance to assign more chores or take any proper during photos, the drywall was up.

Jer had to frankenstein it a bit because of the way the cabinets and undermount lighting were…but in the end, creating a center seam made it so he could squeeze the ends of the stiff-very-non-bendy boards up behind the bottoms of the cabinets and down behind the countertops.

Random photo….Will asked if I could take a picture of him.  More specifically he asked “Mommy, take picture….me…eggs?”  What can I say…the kids loves eggs.  And yes, every time he sits on the counter, he has to put his hands on his knees.  I freak out on him if his hands ever leave the knees.  Now, once he turns three…it’s on like donkey kong.  He’s gotta learn to make his own eggs.  Three year olds in the Amazon are making their own fire…and mommy wants some over-easy in bed!

Back to the drywall.  It’s really necessary to put up your drywall and sink the screws correctly.  That’s my only tip for today.  Google it and you can read all about it.  Also, a serrated drywall knife is your best friend.

Here’s a couple pics of the night Jer finished…you can see where the studs are located because that is where the screws are attaching the drywall.  Also, we decided that we were not going to mud any of the seams for this area since it was all going to be tiled over.  Some folks might wanna take that extra step but we chose not to just because I am overly confident in my tiling skills.  Probably falsely confident but hey…fake it till you make it.  unless it involves bacon.  never.  ever.  fake.  bacon.

So let’s do a quick recap of this super short post.  Jer drywalled.  Will loves eggs.  bam-done.

And now we must plan for the next post to discuss one of my favorite parts about this kitchen…shopping for backsplash tile.  oh baby oh baby oh.  it was heavenly.  like a glittery neon rainbow Justin Beiber poster to a tween girl.  Seriously Beibs…that’s illegal.

p.s.  for past drywall tips – check out this post.  and to see Jer drywall other stuff – here’s an oldie but a goodie :)

Comments

Katie- just catching up on your blog after being MIA for a couple weeks. I can NOT get over the difference in your kitchen- you’ve made it look 10 years younger :) Can’t wait to see the final product, hopefully before that little bambino of yours arrives!

2. Nicole says

I’m hoping the fact that you haven’t posted yet today means that Bower#4 has arrived or is at least on his way!)!!

(Daily reader, not so-daily commenter) Oh Katie, I keep checking your blog in anticipation… hopefully you are giving birth RIGHT. NOW. Hang in there, girl! We’re all thinking about you! xo

4. Maddy says

In Australia, plasterboard or Gyprock (possibly a trade name here too). All the best with the tiling, and the bub, whichever comes first. By the looks of it, it may be the tiling LOL!

5. jamie says

Ok, but what about the baby’s room? Are you going to announce on the blog that you have gone into labor? Or are you not going to post for a few days after the baby is born and keep us in the dark and then tell us? Srsly, I can’t take the stress of not knowing.

The kitchen looks great, looking forward to your tile selection.

I hope you are feeling well.

Hi Jamie,
      The babies room is completely untouched. We actually prepped it for guests (I think my mom might live in there while we are in the hospital)…but since we got the little sitting room off our master, we made that a baby/nursing/justincaseIhaveacaesaren zone. And if you would like pregnancy/labor updates, I will be posting on Instagram & Facebook some regular updates. Tomorrow is our official induction date…so you can pray for us for sure (I would be lying if I didn’t say I’m nervous and a touch anxious about the entire process). And we should be home before Thanksgiving if all goes well!

I grew up calling it Sheetrock, but now I live in Nova Scotia Canada and it is called gyprock. Weirdest name ever, IMO!

Praying for you and baby boy Bower! Can’t wait to “meet” him!

I absolutely love what you did with the lights. Very, very pretty! Have you ever considered a greyed out robin’s egg blue for your front door with a warm stone color for the trim? I think it would look amazing. :)

We definitely want to paint the trim…but we first need new gutters and to fix some door trim and some fascia board in the back…it’s a chain effect :)