Will’s October Photoshoot

This year I only took on a limited number of photoshoots.  I was tired.  And felt every ounce of this pregnancy.  I talked to Jer at the beginning of the spring (after we had found out I was knocked up) and decided on a certain number for each month.  Right after Labor Day, I didn’t have a single shoot left on the schedule…which is kinda crazy because usually that is ‘photoshoot season’.  People want Christmas card pictures and cozy warm fall photos and the like.  But I stuck to my guns and turned down a lot of folks.  And let me tell ya….it felt good.

Sometimes it feels good to just say no.

Put that on a milk carton and drink it.

Anyhoo…I did decide that I would try to take this time and learn a little more editing and camera-related stuff.  I learned back-button focusing and how to properly white balance (although I think learning it doesn’t mean I’ll actually apply it! ha!) and a little more photoshop-tools.  It doesn’t mean my photos are perfect but it is nice to be a student of the craft, ya know?  I also decided that I would try to stage a photoshoot with Will at least once a month.  I have so many ‘real-life’ moments of him but in general, very few of him being photo-shooten.  Thats a word.  I promise.

Hence….

His outfit isn’t perfect and it was just me and him at the shoot (which can be difficult because dude, the kid is two) but in the end, I am so glad I took the thirty minutes to ‘stage’ a shoot.

You might also notice that each picture is differently edited.  Some are clean.  Some vintage.  Some warm and some not.  I was exploring my artistic side.

This one with the branch reminds me of the cover of The Giving Tree.

And this was right after he got into trouble.  He accidentally threw a stick at me (it slipped when he was aiming for the trees) and he actually sliced my tummy through my shirt.  My shirt didn’t have a hole or anything but my skin was bleeding and he felt terrible when I showed him the boo-boo.  I think he thought he hurt the baby.  The puppy dog eyes kill me.

It didn’t take long for him to get over it though.

I see his personality coming through so much more these days.  I love the scrunched up face.  He thinks it’s gonna make me laugh…which of course it does….and he LOVES to make people laugh.  I think he gets that from my side of the family.  We are a bunch of jokesters…and he fits right in.

Last two are my favorite.  He just looks so darn happy.  It’s because these are the two when Daddy came home and saw him with his ‘penders’ on.  I have grown to accept that Daddy is the favorite.  I can’t blame him….Jeremy is my favorite too :)

So have you been doing a lot of picture learning lately?  Anyone exploring photography for the first time?  Any mom-togs out there that have been setting up shoots or capturing favorite pics of your kids?  Any pros out there that are picking up new tricks?  It’s been a while since we talked photos – let’s chat :)

Comments

Katie, you inspired me to take up photography after you took our pictures last year. I have worked on doing shoots for Miller’s 3,6, 9 and 12 month pictures and some holidays plus some for friends. It has been a learning process but so proud of how they have turned out. Can not wait to see pics of your new babe and of course Will still.

Such a beautiful job as always! I’m still so new to photography but I swear it took me forever to learn how to shoot in manual mode and now that I’m getting better I feel like I’m failing on the editing side of things! It is so overwhelming sometimes. Do you have any go to or favorite filters or actions?

Hmmm…I like Pioneer Woman’s set…I modify all of them to make them fit me better…but in general, they are awesome. And I don’t do a lot of filters…just simply because my style is a little more clean for photoshoots. I would definitely use some if I had a client who was looking for something specific in a shoot though!

3. Natalie says

Yayah! I love it when you talk photography. I’ve been teaching myself for almost 2 years now and I still feel like I have basic knowledge. I have photoshop but it is super complicated and I have to google or pinterest anytime I want to do something specific (even if I’ve done it before, I’m kinda slow).

I’ve recently started back button focusing (that’s just when you use the back button and manually pick the spot, right?) but it’s hard to keep up the little buggers when they move around in the frame and I often end up with images where my kid’s face is out of focus but his little stuffed animal is sharp as a tack! Is this a problem everyone has or is it something I’m missing?

Love all your posts, but keep the photography ones comin’!

Yes back button focusing is picking the spot but I also learned part of it for me is using the AF-ON button. More advanced Canon cameras have a dedicated button on the back of the camera that will be the button used to activate the focus on the camera, and other Canon cameras (such as Canon Rebels, Canon 60D, etc) will use the AF-L, AE-L button as the button that will activate focus after this AF-On option is selected. Did I just ramble? Sorry.

4. Dana says

That b/w of him shot from above, legs crossed and hands in the pockets, makes my heart melt! I’m having a boy in February and I can’t wait to capture images just as cute :)

5. Elizabeth says

Wow, I can really tell a huge improvement in your photography. Congrats on teaching yourself these techniques. Would love to hear more about it.

Hey Katie,

Loved the photos. I left you a comment last time you wrote about photography telling you how I didn’t want to upset any other local photographers with whom I had worked in the past. You’re encouragement pushed me to do more shoots and stand strong on charging for my work and it’s been slowly picking up. Thanks again…looking forward to the newborn shoot.

Hi Katie,
    I was wondering what type of lens you use to capture pictures like the one with Will and the tree (5th one down)? Or is it just your positioning that you are able to get a wide view? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Sofia

You need to go watch the 90’s version of the Little Rascals. I watched it this weekend and realized your son looks so much like an adorable little Spanky!! Especially in these clothes!! Hope cute!!

9. Katie says

Katie- I AB.SO.LUTE.LY LOVE those pics of Will. The cross legged one by the barn is Amazing!!! You are so talented. I feel in my heart we should be best friends! Good luck with everything, I will be praying for you!!:)
    Katie

10. Lori says

I hope you guys will be ready for the onslaught those dimples are going to cause in the future! He is so cute, and don’t forget it will be x 2 soon.

Love photography posts! (Especially of your cute little man!!) I have always enjoyed taking {far too many} photos and last year I finally got my first DSLR. I love it. I wish I had more time to get creative and figure it all out, but I am very slowly getting there.

12. Jody says

I’m a beginner photographer – but want to learn and do more than my point and shoot can do. What camera would you recommend that’s easy to learn from and has automatic and manual capabilties?

I used the Rebel but I’ve heard Nikon makes a similar one (in price point and capabilities) so it’s worth checking out if you are looking for a beginners DSLR.

Holy junk! Those pictures are so awesome! You did that yourself? You must be awesome.

And your son is SOOOOO CUTE! so cute. You should mail those pics to Baby Gap or something.

Hi Katie, congrats on the new little one. You make such cute babies. I’m working on learning how to use my rebel to take pictures like this of my 16 month old but wanted to know what you use to edit your photos. I’m kind of assuming you will say photoshop, is there anything cheaper that beginners can use till I start to get the hang of it? I hope your lady bits heal up quickly, I know how it is for a 7lb baby, but I couldn’t image what happens after a 10lb baby.

Photoshop Elements is a great beginner tool…it runs about a hundred bucks but it’s got great functionality and you can do amazing editing on it.

15. Andrea says

Your pictures are beautiful! They reminded me of the amazing stuff my cousin is doing, first with her own children and now in her own photography business. I’m sure you both could relate to each other…here’s her site. http://michellesauer.com/