Gingerbread Housing

In true Katie Bower fashion, I am posting some of our Christmas activities in January.  I had to.  I am so stinking proud of our gingerbread house and had such fun that it doesn’t matter what month this is posted in…I wanna memoralize this bad boy.

Let’s start over.  Will and I pulled an Obama and decided to participate in some community planning…through housing development.   Our Gingerbread House Party 2012 began…

It was actually inspired by Nurse Vicki….aka Grammy…who came to visit after Weston was born and brought a gingerbread train kit.  Will LOVED it.

They put it together exactly like the box.  It looked gorgeous.

I decided that we would build a house…of course…I love making houses prettier in real life, might as well do it graham cracker style.  I premade the house by cheating…aka hot gluing graham crackers to a shoe box.  Will looks weird in this photo.  Not like him.  Oh and see the bite mark outta the roof?  Yeah.  Maybe I should give him more snacks so that he doesn’t eat the crafts.

He was extremely excited about the candy.  Extremely.

We had to make our icing – I kept calling it glue hoping that he wouldn’t want to eat it – apparently that was a failure and now he thinks he can eat real glue.  #momfail

Our little cheerleader doing tummy time.  Check out that hair!  All of the original hair on top has fallen out…now he looks like my own little Jason Statham…bare on the top, bear on the bottom :)

My little glue eater.  My apologies to any future arts teachers.  Yes, my kid will be the one in the back sucking on the Elmers.

So we started decorating and I got this side…

And here is Will’s…(seriously the kid is an artist)…

My favorite part is the door that resembles a tongue.  Awesome welcome.  If only we could have that in real life.  Would make for very interesting curb appeal.

The sides were a collaborative effort.  He was over putting stuff on the house by the time he finished his side and roof and got to the sides.  So he told me what to ‘draw’ and he assisted in making them beautiful.  He’s very into shapes…like star and heart and “pahallellagam”….

Our little village…

Oh and this guy…yeah…sleeps all the time…like constantly…sleeps and smiles…thats it.  We’ve been calling him a bunch of nicknames…most of which revolve around sleeping or smiling.  Jeremy doesn’t approve of Smiley Spyrus…I have no idea why.

This was definitely a highlight of our Christmas season…for me because I got to decorate…for Will because of the sugar high.

Kevin the pig holding down the fort with the Christmas stuff.  I didn’t do a whole lotta Christmas decorating this year…but we did gather these little holiday figures together.  I pretended they were a choir.  singing Christmas carols.  I should have strapped some antlers on Kevin…that would have been awesome.  next year :)

Comments

1. Sarah F. says

I rarely comment on any blogs (have been reading yours for over a year now), but I literally laughed out loud when I read that the pig’s name was Kevin. My husband and I always say our next dog we want to name Carl, or something very “human-y”. Keep up the good work, love reading it all!

2. Mel says

Cute! You’re totally the kind of mom I want to be. My little guy, also named Will, is only a yr old so he didn’t quite grasp the gingerbread house decorating. I hope y’all have a very blessed 2013!

This is awesome! I like the shoebox idea, the whole balancing “card house” idea hasn’t held up for me in the past. I have seen people stick the graham crackers to cardboard milk cartons, too (half gallon or pints) because they already have the house shape.

On an unrelated note, is the new babe sleeping with mom and dad or does he have a nursery yet/in progress? Can’t wait to see what you do! I have a baby on the way and I can’t wait to get some Bower inspiration.

Katie! I love the gingerbread house! Believe it or not, I constructed my first gingerbread house this past season. A group of our friends do a Christmas party and this year, we decided to do a guys vs. girls gingerbread competition. It got serious and we had themes, etc. We Face-timed some family and friends in to do the judging. Go big or go home I say. I’m proud to say that our feminist group of girls (not) made an awesome “playboy bunny” mansion complete with topless rice crispy treat bunny’s and a Hef, as well as a grotto molded out of rice crispy treats and a blue jello “pool”. Haha! I’m still chuckling over the absurd creativity of it all and how well it actually turned out. Have a great day! (And, I completely agree it’s acceptable to do holiday posts whenever you please :) )
    – Catie

5. Cassie says

Aww, great job, Will!!

I love that he knows parallelogram. Are you teaching him all of the “hard” shapes? I’m in school for Child Development/Early Childhood Education and they’re telling us to teach children “rhombus” instead of “diamond” now. It’s really obnoxious, but go you, sounds like he’ll be ahead!

Christmas 2011, my then 2 year old had her best friend over and they made Gingerbread houses. They loved it, but between eating those and drinking giant mugs of hot chocolate, her mom and I were kicking ourselves in the butts for giving them so much sugar.

6. CarrieE says

I love that Will took a bite out of the house! I’ve seen familiar scenes played out in our home. And I recall sitting next to an Elmer’s conosseuier throughout the second grade. Blech! You still have time to work that out:)

7. Bec from Aus says

I L.O.V.E the all the gingerbread fun!! They all look awesome. I tried the whole gingerbread house a couple of years ago but because it’s so hot here for Chrissy all the icing just melted off and ended up in a huge mess ;) maybe next time I’ll use your cheat way.

8. rachel says

Your pictures are always so colorful and bright. Is that because your surroundings are very bright and colorful or because you are a good photographer/editor or both?

Well, I think it’s a combo of both…there are good angles for brightness and color and there are bad…the hard part is finding them :)

9. Emily says

Looking cute, Katie! When you get caught up (ha. I know. Not literally, but you know what I mean!), can we see what you’ve done for Weston’s nursery? We haven’t seen anything! What a sweet baby.

We actually haven’t done anything for his room…we did create a zone for him in our room and have felt no pressure to do his room since we knew he would be in there for a while.

My eldest son has the same shirt Will is sporting. My Peanut put it on the other day after not wearing it for awhile & I remembered how skinkin cute it is with the front pocket. Don’t u just love a good tarjay tee!?!

Props for a great gingerbread house too.

Hugs-
    Amelia

I love doing the graham cracker gingerbread houses. I used to work at a bakery and we had a kid’s class during the holidays and we always used graham crackers and lots of candy. I wish I had done this with my daughter… maybe next year! It’s hard to fit it all in!