I’m kinda slobby. I’ve never been organized or on top of things. I’m that girl that never has a clean outfit, hair done, makeup in place and deodorant on all at the same time. And that has been reflected here at Bower Power for a long time.
And like most teenage girls out there, I, at almost 32 years of age, am insecure. I am insecure to a point that prevents me from moving forward, from getting my crap together, from trying to be the best version of me. I think it is because in the back of my mind, if I try really hard and then after all that hard work I fail, well that is far worse than if I don’t try hard at all. Like giving my best and getting my act together will make me more vulnerable. Like being vulnerable and honest is bad. But it’s not. It’s a lie. It’s a horrible idiotic lie that I tell myself. And it needs to stop. I need to improve. And hopefully this blog will reflect that change.
So in true make-a-list-in-hopes-of-gettin-er-done fashion, here’s my plans for my self-improvement/blog-improvement….
ORGANIZATION SELF IMPROVEMENT: I’ve touched on this before…I am very disorganized. For my self-improvement, I want and need to organize my life and house. Specifically the following rooms:
- office (it went straight to hades after we started the kitchen)
- craft closet
- clothing (I have stuff from highschool in bins…it’s bad)
- storage area
- living room built-ins
- toys (oh em gee…the toys are like the plague…they are killing me)
I’m hoping that as I organize these spaces, that the rooms get closer to being finalized on the cheap. For instance, when I clean up my office, I could sew some curtains for in there from fabric that I already own. (duh) Or when I sort through my storage area, find some frames that I could redo for pictures of our newest addition. (so he doesn’t feel like he might be dropped off at a church doorstep anytime soon). I also want to make the following goals publicly known….if you meet me in the street, ask me how I’m doing…
- get together a new yearly budget
- sort through the MILLIONS of photos
- create and print the 2012 family year book (here’s when we started that tradition a couple years back)
- create and stick to a weekly meal plan
- write down an exercise plan and do it!
ORGANIZATION BLOG IMPROVEMENT: I have some plans for organization for the blog…basically the goal is to make things easier to find and highlight past projects because there is a lot of little gems of info here hidden in past posts…like how to clean a paintbrush or how to make a super cheap spice rack (you could also use this technique for canned goods). But also because most folks don’t wanna be friends with a slob. Here’s my to-do-organize-blog list:
- splurge for a new host – dedicated server perhaps so people can access the future organized posts because what we have now is not working
- get all the old blogger posts in order so that the photos show up on WordPress
- finish getting all the old posts in the Project Catalog (2.5 years down! 2.5 years to go!)
- make some easy sidebar links for you to find the important info
- catagorize all old house posts by room
- come up with a posting schedule
- create buttons for those of you asking to put Bower Power in your blog roll (thank you so much Loves and here they are!)
REALIFICATION SELF IMPROVEMENT: I’ve never been one to do something outside of my little world. I wanted to pierce my nose when I was 19…I didn’t because of fear. I wanted to bleach my hair when I was 23…I didn’t because of fear. I wanted to write a children’s book ever since I was a child…I didn’t because of fear. Notice a trend? Yeah. Fear. The thing is…when I’m insecure, I shut down. I don’t put myself out there…I crawl into my safe little hole. Well, I know that you can’t turn the Titanic around on a dime…so I don’t expect that fear to evaporate immediately. BUT I do want to try to be more me. to put myself out there. to be more vulnerable. to be more real. Here’s my little list of what I can do:
- find a red lipstick (this sounds weird but I’ve always wanted to do it and it’s high time to try)
- explore my photography interests…I think I wanna take more still life stuff…we shall see how that evolves
- write the dang kid’s book. also illustrate it….they are kids, what do they care if my drawings aren’t perfect?!
- journal…I think I might go back and try to follow Ashley’s Lil Journal Project for prompts
- try something new everyday…write it down (new is uncomfortable for me…which forces me to be more vulnerable)
REALIFICATION BLOG IMPROVEMENT: It’s way easier for me to be real on the blog than real life. Maybe because I feel like I’m talking to friends who all love and support me. I know that there are folks that read my blog simply because they do not like me or something I am, did, or said…but in general, most of you tune in because there is some kinship between you and me. I just hope to continue down the road of being me…of being weird and awkward and laughing at inappropriate jokes.
- Videos! I have a lot of ideas for videos. I am bursting with video plans…and in the past, only fear of being me held me back. No more fear.
- Take & post more photos of me with my kids and boytoy
- I went to school to be a teacher…high time I put that education to good use….how bout put together a bunch of imperfect photography related tutorials
SOCIALIZATION SELF IMPROVEMENT: I am much more social in real life than the blog….but I still need improvement. Like I said, it’s very easy for me to crawl into a safe little hole and I don’t want to do that. And I think that Will needs me to be more social…so there you go.
- arrange more playdates with other moms
- write notes of encouragement to my family members
- volunteer regularly in my community
- join a church small group
- arrange for Will to participate in an activity apart from me and make a friend during that time
SOCIALIZATION BLOG IMPROVEMENT: Getting personal means being real, right? And actually getting close enough to touch. Insert our first awkward hug here 🙂 But there is much more that I am hoping to get planned for us to continue this friendship we’ve started. Here’s how:
- Improve my social media presence – on Facebook (I plan on posting ‘would you rather ?’s starting today! Can’t wait to hear what you say!), on Pinterest, on Instagram (I post regularly there but hopefully as my life gets more interesting, so do my instapics)
- Give you more free stuff faster and easier (we are gonna start doing all smaller giveaways on Facebook…making it faster and easier!)
- Arrange more times I can actually MEET YOU! IN THE FLESH! (more on this later!)
- Link up to more blogs (through posts like the Before & After Showcases and videos)
- Arrange to attend at least one blog conference or one blogger related event this year
- Put more blogs on my blogroll
- SAY YES. I had a ‘no’ year last year….this is the year of the YES.
Okay…so whew…lotta listing. It’s like a tornado of lists. Now let’s get all real and crap and confess stuff to one another…
I am Katie and I love zombie shows, any hip hop song that involves me yelling at the DJ, and inwardly believe I could be a MMA fighter. OH and I practice the windmill break dance move whenever I know Jeremy can’t hear me crash on the floor. #imnotevenclose