Some General Announcements

I’m kinda slobby.  I’ve never been organized or on top of things.  I’m that girl that never has a clean outfit, hair done, makeup in place and deodorant on all at the same time.  And that has been reflected here at Bower Power for a long time.

And like most teenage girls out there, I, at almost 32 years of age, am insecure.  I am insecure to a point that prevents me from moving forward, from getting my crap together, from trying to be the best version of me.  I think it is because in the back of my mind, if I try really hard and then after all that hard work I fail, well that is far worse than if I don’t try hard at all.  Like giving my best and getting my act together will make me more vulnerable.  Like being vulnerable and honest is bad.  But it’s not.  It’s a lie.  It’s a horrible idiotic lie that I tell myself.  And it needs to stop.  I need to improve.  And hopefully this blog will reflect that change.

So in true make-a-list-in-hopes-of-gettin-er-done fashion, here’s my plans for my self-improvement/blog-improvement….

ORGANIZATION SELF IMPROVEMENT:  I’ve touched on this before…I am very disorganized.  For my self-improvement, I want and need to organize my life and house.  Specifically the following rooms:

• workroom
  • office (it went straight to hades after we started the kitchen)
  • craft closet
  • clothing (I have stuff from highschool in bins…it’s bad)
  • storage area
  • garage
  • living room built-ins
  • toys (oh em gee…the toys are like the plague…they are killing me)

I’m hoping that as I organize these spaces, that the rooms get closer to being finalized on the cheap.  For instance, when I clean up my office, I could sew some curtains for in there from fabric that I already own. (duh)  Or when I sort through my storage area, find some frames that I could redo for pictures of our newest addition. (so he doesn’t feel like he might be dropped off at a church doorstep anytime soon).  I also want to make the following goals publicly known….if you meet me in the street, ask me how I’m doing…

ORGANIZATION BLOG IMPROVEMENT:  I have some plans for organization for the blog…basically the goal is to make things easier to find and highlight past projects because there is a lot of little gems of info here hidden in past posts…like how to clean a paintbrush or how to make a super cheap spice rack (you could also use this technique for canned goods).  But also because most folks don’t wanna be friends with a slob. Here’s my to-do-organize-blog list:

• splurge for a new host – dedicated server perhaps so people can access the future organized posts because what we have now is not working
  • get all the old blogger posts in order so that the photos show up on WordPress
  • finish getting all the old posts in the Project Catalog (2.5 years down!  2.5 years to go!)
  • make some easy sidebar links for you to find the important info
  • catagorize all old house posts by room
  • come up with a posting schedule
  • create buttons for those of you asking to put Bower Power in your blog roll (thank you so much Loves and here they are!)

REALIFICATION SELF IMPROVEMENT:  I’ve never been one to do something outside of my little world.  I wanted to pierce my nose when I was 19…I didn’t because of fear.  I wanted to bleach my hair when I was 23…I didn’t because of fear.  I wanted to write a children’s book ever since I was a child…I didn’t because of fear.  Notice a trend?  Yeah.  Fear.  The thing is…when I’m insecure, I shut down.  I don’t put myself out there…I crawl into my safe little hole.  Well, I know that you can’t turn the Titanic around on a dime…so I don’t expect that fear to evaporate immediately.  BUT I do want to try to be more me.  to put myself out there.  to be more vulnerable. to be more real.  Here’s my little list of what I can do:

• find a red lipstick  (this sounds weird but I’ve always wanted to do it and it’s high time to try)
  • explore my photography interests…I think I wanna take more still life stuff…we shall see how that evolves
  • write the dang kid’s book.  also illustrate it….they are kids, what do they care if my drawings aren’t perfect?!
  • journal…I think I might go back and try to follow Ashley’s Lil Journal Project for prompts
  • try something new everyday…write it down (new is uncomfortable for me…which forces me to be more vulnerable)

REALIFICATION BLOG IMPROVEMENTIt’s way easier for me to be real on the blog than real life.  Maybe because I feel like I’m talking to friends who all love and support me.  I know that there are folks that read my blog simply because they do not like me or something I am, did, or said…but in general, most of you tune in because there is some kinship between you and me.  I just hope to continue down the road of being me…of being weird and awkward and laughing at inappropriate jokes.

• Videos!  I have a lot of ideas for videos.  I am bursting with video plans…and in the past, only fear of being me held me back.  No more fear.
  • Take & post more photos of me with my kids and boytoy
  • I went to school to be a teacher…high time I put that education to good use….how bout put together a bunch of imperfect photography related tutorials

SOCIALIZATION SELF IMPROVEMENT I am much more social in real life than the blog….but I still need improvement.  Like I said, it’s very easy for me to crawl into a safe little hole and I don’t want to do that.  And I think that Will needs me to be more social…so there you go.

• arrange more playdates with other moms
  • write notes of encouragement to my family members
  • volunteer regularly in my community
  • join a church small group
  • arrange for Will to participate in an activity apart from me and make a friend during that time

SOCIALIZATION BLOG IMPROVEMENT:  Getting personal means being real, right?  And actually getting close enough to touch.  Insert our first awkward hug here :)  But there is much more that I am hoping to get planned for us to continue this friendship we’ve started.  Here’s how:

• Improve my social media presence – on Facebook (I plan on posting ‘would you rather ?’s starting today!  Can’t wait to hear what you say!), on Pinterest, on Instagram (I post regularly there but hopefully as my life gets more interesting, so do my instapics)
  • Give you more free stuff faster and easier  (we are gonna start doing all smaller giveaways on Facebook…making it faster and easier!)
  • Arrange more times I can actually MEET YOU!  IN THE FLESH!  (more on this later!)
  • Link up to more blogs (through posts like the Before & After Showcases and videos)
  • Arrange to attend at least one blog conference or one blogger related event this year
  • Put more blogs on my blogroll
  • SAY YES.  I had a ‘no’ year last year….this is the year of the YES.

Okay…so whew…lotta listing.  It’s like a tornado of lists.  Now let’s get all real and crap and confess stuff to one another…

I am Katie and I love zombie shows, any hip hop song that involves me yelling at the DJ, and inwardly believe I could be a MMA fighter.  OH and I practice the windmill break dance move whenever I know Jeremy can’t hear me crash on the floor.  #imnotevenclose

Comments

1. jenn says

i didnt know that you went to school to be a teacher! what can you teach? how come you never did? funny that you were home schooled and grew up wanting to teach! do you plan on using this to home school your boys or will you ever start to teach?

Haha…lots of questions! Both my parents were public school teachers so it wasn’t that weird to me. And I never taught because I never graduated (because I didn’t want to teach). I went through my student teaching and then decided not to apply for graduation. Most folks (including my mother) thought that was crazy and stupid but I knew immediately that it wasn’t for me. I might end up homeschooling…maybe not. We will have to wait and see what they need and what is best :)

• Kelly says

One of my roomates went all the way through school to teach, then got engaged and was moving to another state. She had all her credits to graduate, but they wouldn’t let her student teach outside Michigan, so she just took her history degree and forgot the teaching part! Hey, if you’re happy and don’t regret it – that’s what counts!

Katie,

It took some brass “you-know-whats” to write that list up. I’m inspired by your gumption, and I’m on your team!

However, I’d just like to say that I really like your style (and I think Emily Henderson is right there with you) as it is, and so I hope that being more “with it” gives you more time and energy to break out dance moves and woo your man.

3. Mel says

Oh honey buns I know exactly how you feel! I’m trying to do the exact same. I told my husband that 2013 will be the year of happiness. I do everything else for him and my son so I want to do something for myself and improve my life. That means working out, getting organized and beig more social at church. I don’t want to look at this time where I get to be a SAHM and realize that I never went out on a limb to improve and challenge myself. You can do it girl! You’re awesome so just believe in yourself and have the confidence the rest of us see in you!

4. Brandi says

Oh Katie. All of us women feel the same way. Some just hide it better than others! ;)

PS – I have online small group that meets every Monday night called Frazzled Females, wanna join?! ;)

5. Erin says

Katie,
    I just wanted to compliment you on compiling all your goals! I read this post and wondered, not for the first time, “where does she get the energy?!” I have a 10 month old son (only 1!), who doesn’t sleep through the night and I feel like I’m a wreck most of the time…certainly don’t have enough time to organize my life or even take a shower sometimes! I don’t know how you do it with an infant and a toddler but thank you for being an inspiration and example that maybe, just maybe it’s all possible. Good luck on your mission!
    Erin in PDX

6. Roseanna says

Oh KatieB… You have been reading my diary. I just keep trying to remember that even if I fall off the wagon, I can have a fresh start every morning! Stay encouraged!!

I am so glad to know that I’m not alone out there in the “needing to put myself out there more” boat. I’m sure it’s a big boat but you know. I understand you on having your safe place, I work from home so I don’t get much socialization outside. I have to say there are days I miss true grown up conversations about zombies and the occasional real house wife. :) I wish you luck on your journey in 2013 and I’m hoping to be half as successful as you are with it. :)

Good work, Katie! Putting it all down/organizing a list of what ya want to achieve is often one of the hardest parts. You totally are going to OWN this list :) And it’s going to feel – so – good – as you check stuff off of it! Good luck, lady! You can do it!

9. Michelle Nichols says

For workouts you must try Fit Yummy Mummy! I started using her workouts in Sept 2012 and I have lost weight and toned up! It’s an awesome workout and it’s made for busy mom 15 minute workout. I bought the Busy Moms 2.0 Basic and love love love it! I could go on but you probably get the point haha! Good luck with your journey.

10. Shelly Smith says

While your list is impressive, please cut yourself some slack. It’s ok that you haven’t taken care of all your “business”. You have small children and we all know how much time that takes up. When you are in your 40’s you will see how marvelous and kick butt you really are. Trust me.
    Keep loving those babies and the important stuff will fall in to place. And if it doesn’t, it wasn’t important in the first place!

11. Jennifer says

You’ve got this Katie!! You’ve already made a huge accomplishment by getting out there what you would like to change! Change is good and can be really, really great! Enough with the pep talk. I live in a hole of fear at times, don’t always have the best self esteem and could stand to organize a thing or two as well. :) I think that your list is great and there were a couple of items that really struck a chord with me. First, meal planning. If you can get into the swing of this – you’re golden. I meal plan and make my grocery list either Sat or Sun mornings with the paper, the coupons and a cup of tea. Going all day with ‘what’s for dinner?!?!?!?!?’ haunting you is like a silent killer. But there is a cure, meal planning. It will change your life! The other item that hit home was journaling. DO IT!!! Such a great way to get down great memories and (seriously, come on..) vent. AND… you’re not venting every silly little thing to your hubby. Such a stress reliever. I like to list the day’s highs and lows in my journal too. Keeps it real. There are always more highs. :) Best of luck to you! Hope you start feeling some relief as things fall into place and you get in your groove!!

12. Jennifer says

Forgot the mention.. VIDEOS!!!!!!! Adding in videos again would be great! You were a natural with your house tour with Will as a baby. You appear very approachable, sweet, humble and welcoming on camera. And that’s a good thing. :)

13. Chrissy says

Rug my mug! I am looking for a great rug (maybe a bold floral? stepping out of my ‘neutral’ comfort zone here!) to layer over my carpeted bedroom floor. Wish you were closer to me (central Missouri) – we could SO be real-life buddies!

I’m been trying to leave a comment for the past two days and haven’t been able to until now. I just wanted to say that I hope you aren’t setting yourself up for failure with so many noble and worthy goals all at once. You are at the most demanding stage of life in terms of energy and physical stamina and you are expecting an awful lot from yourself to improve in all those areas. I say cut yourself some slack and be kind to yourself as well. A lot of the improvements in self-esteem happen over time as life marches on and not because you decide this is the year. I’m in my 50s and have been married for 33 years and raised (almost) 3 children so I know something about it. Try one goal at a time and be kind if you don’t have the time or energy to do it. I would hate to see you get to the end of the year and feel like an epic failure if you weren’t able to make so many changes in such a short amount of time. I know I’m way older than most of your readers (but I’m young at heart) and I just wanted you to know that I admire you and enjoy your blog immensely. Keep up the good work girl!

Such a great, inspiring list! This is why we love you…you’re so real, and basically just like us! Except you look really cute with no make-up…that doesn’t work as well for me. Doesn’t stop me from having a naked face most days, but still.

And if you’re looking to beef up your blogroll, feel free to add your ole Pinterest Challenge host pal! ;)

16. Emily says

Katie, your lists are inspiring! I am tentative about making such lists because I always worry I won’t get much done and then feel worse about myself than before…I guess that is one of my fears to overcome! What I found I was not afraid of, however, was getting my nose pierced! Ha! Last summer, on my daughter’s 6th bday, we got pierced together – her ears, my nose…I was 33 at the time and had had it in the back of my mind since I was maybe 14 or so. My parents still gave me a hard time about it, even as an adult!

Cheers to achieving goals in 2013!

Emily

Katie,

This post totally resonated with me. Thank you! I, too, have a bunch of goals that I am pushing myself to accomplish. It can be daunting, can’t it? Haha.

I’m looking forward to reading about and seeing the progress!

Katie, I first started following your blog last year when I realized we were due two days apart (my daughter was nine days late, and it seems Weston took his time as well, haha). Lovely honest posts like this one make me glad I found you! I especially like your “realification” goal to try new things. In 2010, I started a blog and titled it “Greenhorn Living” to focus on that very thing–trying new things as often as possible, no being afraid of not being good at stuff and just trying. With the baby, blogging took a hiatus, but she makes me try new things everyday! :-D

Best wishes! -A

I thought that I was the only girl out there who, never has a clean outfit, hair done, makeup in place and deodorant on all at the same time. I’m glad to discover that I am not the only one! Pheww. :-)

~Sarah

p.s. great goals…I think you can totally do it!

Always appreciate your sincerity and honestly. And frankly I’m so happy to hear that there is at least one pro-blogger out there that hasn’t quite mastered organization…there is hope for the rest of us! 2013 is yours for the conquering:)
    Hugs

21. Jeanette says

This is such a great post – You always seem to have it so together on your blog, it’s nice to see that you have insecurities just like everyone else! All of your goals make me feel inspired to try new things too. It’s so easy to get stuck in ruts. I can’t wait to read more about your progress on these throughout the year – you can do it! xo

22. Audrey says

I’ll come help you organize your house! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE doing that kind of stuff! Plus, your house is beautiful, so it would be even more fun! I’m a nerd. Sorry.

23. Susie says

I love this post! Keeping it real is what keeps me coming back for more Bower Power! I love your shared honesty and totally relate to being scared of things. I feel like I have so much to share but then I freak myself out about it (what if I get a stalker, what if I
    embarrass my family, what if I look stupid, what if I fail, the list goes on and on). The world can be a scary place – especially at night when it seems all these thoughts come to mind, haha, why is that? I look forward to hearing how it goes and am cheering you on! You’ll look great with a nose ring and red lips and bleached hair doing a windmill and some air drop kicks! Haha, go Kate, go Katie (I’m doing the running man)

24. Leah says

I’m really feeling you on the socializing part of this list. I have three boys and with this cold weather I feel stuck inside too often. I need more play dates and girl talk! I’m in GA, hit me up if you ever want to meet up! There is a really cute new kid tumbling place near Mall of Georgia. ;)

Katie-
    I love your list. I wish that I had compartmentalized my goals and categorized them as well as you have! I know SO many of us would LOVE to meet you & give you a not-so-virtual hug!

Also- if you find that shade of red lipstick, could you share? I want to do the same SO badly and I’m SO SCARED? Shall we send each other pictures of our attempts? Haha! :) Good luck with your goals!