It’s Golden

One of our advertisers, GoldenAgeUSA asked if I would do a sponsored post.  I was really excited about this one because I feel like they have a HUGE selection of home decor, lighting and rugs that could inspire anyone to improve the look of their home…no matter what style or aesthetic you may have.

Among my many (many) problems, one issue I have is pinpointing my specific style.  I think it’s hard because I truly appreciate all different styles.  I was that girl in middle school that wore torn jeans with Doc Martens and a ratty plaid shirt one day (when I thought I was Eddie Vedder) and a matching warmup suit the next (neon fun!) and a skirt with high socks the next (ala Alicia Silverstone in Clueless).  I just knew what I liked.  It’s not that I like everything…no…it’s that I can find something in every style that I like.  Does that make any sense?  I’m sure there are some of you out there that struggle with the same thing.  So throwing me into a online decor superstore like GoldenAgeUSA is like throwing me into a pool full of ice cream…I’ll eat my way around the banana-flavor and dig out those chocolate nuggets.

I threw together five different looks that are all a combination of mirror + rug + lighting + two accessories.  And basically I am obsessed with every single item.

(all products via GoldenAgeUSA)

#1 is definitely more masculine influenced and warm and preppy at the same time.

#2 is speaking to my girly and rich and sophisticated side.  It’s the Charlize Theron of the group.

#3 is youthful and trendy…someone that has traditional roots but is still on point with the newest cool thing.

#4 is clean and simple and bright.  A first time home buyer that will have these pieces for the next twenty years.

#5 is fiesty and a world traveler….more eclectic and wants their home to be a collection of their best memories.

So which one are you?  Worldly?  Clean?  Trendy?  Sophisticated?  Any combo deals out there?  I’m a number 1-5 with extra ice for cooling down after this love fest.  Now I sound like a fast food order :)

p.s.  This is a sponsored post brought to you by GoldenAgeUSA.  All opinions are my own.  Including the one where I’m basking in an ice cream pool.

Comments

1. Dina says

Hole. Lee. Crap.
    That tripod floor lamp! Katie, where did you find it on the site? I’m searching all over and can’t locate it!! Help!
    Thanks a bunch

Love number 4 and number 5 above all the rest- which are all so great. Oh let me throw number three up there, too. Love it. World traveler + trendy + clean. Mmmm. Love it! Bring on the sponsored posts!

3. Christine says

I am number 1 girl. I have been preppy all my life…and OMG, I just say a white ceramic dog on the side of your site and I must have it!

I’m a 1-5 too! I love masculine and homey, but also like bright and cheery…. So you just totally described me, my style, and well everything that has to do with me. One of the main reasons I could never quite pin point what I wanted be when I grew up. Now I am a office manager and do a little of everything so it works….Love your blog and your sense of humor!

5. Cheryl says

I just spent the past month reading your blog from the beginning – all caught up now and I’ve decided that you are the most loveable nut with a really fun family!

Not sure about my style either and I have kids your age so I think some of are always “all of the above” when it comes to style. Love most everything you picked out. Currently not doing any shopping – mostly trying to get rid of stuff as we prepare to retire in less than a year and sell the house we’ve been living in for 25 year (and I’m a pack rat).

Thanks for sharing – love it when I see a new post from you – always good for a giggle that brightens my day. Happy Easter!

6. Jordan says

Oh my gosh!! The fan in #5! I’d given up hope that there was a solution to my husband’s fan obsession that could possibly look good. Do you know what it’s called? I seriously need this in my life… Box fan, be gone!

I saw the title on facebook, got excited and instantly jumped to the conclusion that you had gotten a golden retriever puppy lol. I was ready for over-the-top cute pics of Will, Weston and a puppy! But I suppose decor will do… :) haha.

Yes! I need that fan! Crazy as it sounds, my husband and I run a fan all night for the white noise and our current one is such an eyesore in our bedroom. Saving up for this baby.

9. Molly says

I’m definitely digging the sail boat in #1 but I’ve always dreamt of making my own to match a tall ship I sailed on for a semester in college. Is that possible? (I should check Pinterest.)

You totally nailed how I feel about my style–both fashion and home decor. I like pieces of each style and could do a different one every day!

11. Tara says

I have the SAME exact problem! It paralyzes me to no end. I have upgraded our hand-me-down furniture in our living room about a million times in my head. Just when I think I can pull the trigger and get to buyin’, I fall in love with something completely different!

I’m a combo meal of #3, #4, and #5.

I think I may have seen you in middle school- (actually, I grew up in Atl.- did you?) But seriously, I know what you mean. I was all babydoll dresses with biker shorts underneath one day, and samba soccer shoes the next… Okay, I probably definitely had a neon windsuit or two…

It worked out, and you have great taste in style!

13. Jane says

I was just flipping through Good Housekeeping, and thought “wait a minute, I recognize this house!” Sure enough it was your’s! So neat!!

Oh! I love that rug in #1. My son Max (was born right around the time Weston was born). I bought a white rug for the nursery when I was pregnant (we were team green so I wanted neutral). I knew it would get trashed because it was white, but I was 50 Shades of Hormones and needed a white rug. 2 weeks after Max was born, we threw the now brown rug out. I got a gorgeous Nate Berkus jute woven rug. It’s beautiful. It also sheds like a golden retriever and is hard and lumpy for a baby to lay on and learn to crawl on. The rug you’ve shown is just what I need. His room is masculine preppy. Driftwood furniture with Linen White walls and navy accents throughout. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mindy

Hey Katie–
    I’m dying to make that pollen ball out of straws, but your tutorial is gone! Is there any way you can repost it? I’m so sad…
    Jess

16. Laura says

I’m a #1, #3 & #4. What great little combos you came up with. And yes, those bicycle book ends are fantastic. I have nowhere to use them or else I’d be all over it.

17. Jessie says

I’m quite sure you just described me exactly with your varying wardrobe and decor tastes. I avoid buying anything because I can’t figure out what I want our house to look like! What is your advice on this? (Keep in mind we’re military and move every 2-3 years, so I need decor that will adjust to 8,000 different floorplans).

I would stick to versatile pieces that won’t go out of style…on the smaller side of scale so that it’s easier to move and sell if need be. Jute rugs, leather storage ottomans, etc. It will provide the perfect backdrop for your other accent pieces…and allow you to mix and match if you move into a new space.

18. Carrie says

Fun post! I’m definitely #1. So much that I totally want that rug, but I’m having a hard time finding it on the site. Can you share a link, please?

19. Another KB says

Couldn’t help but chime in – because your post pinpointed me to a T. I like call myself “over-inspired” because I can appreciate pieces and facets of so many styles, that sometimes I just don’t know what to do in my home … and I sure as heck didn’t know what to do in the ’90s as a part-grunge, part-girlie, part-homegirl either!

As for what my house is looking like these days, I’m a mix of 2 and 3. (And 4. And some 5 ….)