tile a bye-bye
At first we thought the floor was linoleum. I thought maybe the previous owners went a cheap route and just bought those giant stick down floor tiles…totally a budget move.
ahem. I was wrong.
This is bonafide tile. excuse the mutant toes.
So here’s how we removed it all. First…removal of the quarter round. I recommend trying to save it when you can…ours was coming apart at the seams so there wasn’t a whole lot of salvaging…but it’s cheap to replace so if you do damage yours, it’s spilled milk my friends.
Then we started hammering at the vent. You can do this also in a regular corner of a tile. Basically the deal was ‘let’s break it up and see how hard it will be to remove’. Oh and yes, it’s a good idea to stuff a towel down in your vent so random bits of tile don’t fall down there.
We tried to clean up as we went.
After Jer got some of the tile started, he just pushed the hammer under the edge of the surrounding tiles and popped them up. They came up really easily.
Ignore the fact that he didn’t have safety goggles on. We couldn’t find them. He is now blind in both eyes.
oknotreally…but the point is, he should be. you know what I mean.
Our tile came up in big chunks…which means that the adhesive didn’t stick really well to the bottom of the tiles. That could have been a product error or an installation error. I’d put my money on installation in this house.
Jer kept on prying each one until it when from this…
Under the tile we were left with the cement board. Jeremy suggested we try to salvage the board and just scrape the adhesive off. In theory that’s a great idea…but in reality, I told him no. It would be a huge time suck and I didn’t want him to waste hours and hours just to make a finished product that may not be perfect for future tile. It’s worth the money sometimes just to replace it.
Jer set the circular saw blade depth just long enough to cut through the board and not the subfloor and equipped it with a concrete blade. Then it was dust city…
I crossed my fingers that the board was just nailed down…screws would have been a royal pain in the bum. not to be confused with pain in the royal bum
Jer decided to just break the corners and leave the edges under the baseboards…for me.
One night when Jeremy was laid up in bed with the stomach bug, I was able to spend a solid two hours just pulling up the nails, prying out the old tile/cement board/nails under the baseboards and doing general clean up.
Oh and for those of you wondering…clean up would mean sweeping up the mess with a good ole fashioned broom and dustpan first…and second…and then using a little shop vac…then mopping it all up. It’s SUPER dusty so try to get as much up as humanly possible. or as extra-terrestrial as possible if you are good
Okay…so that’s that. Tile a bye bye….next up…prep and priming.