She’s A Brick House
I am a fan of accent walls.
So far, I’ve done the draped fabric accent wall, the green accent wall, the wooden pallet accent wall, and finally a burlap wall in Will’s room. So it’s no surprise that when I saw the photos of the brick walls in the recent Restoration Hardware Kids & Baby catalog, I was a huge fan. Like Rosie O’Donnell was a fan of Tom Cruise huge. That’s showing my age, isn’t it?!
This post is all about how we installed a faux brick wall in Weston’s room. It’s very very easy.
The funny thing is…in middle school I went to a church where the youth room had a fake brick wall. Since it was for middle and high schoolers, they had ‘street art’ spray painted on it. You know. Because that is what says Jesus to middle class suburban kids apparently
Okay so how did we do it?
First we bought four faux brick panels at Lowes. They run about $22 a piece and come in a sheet like plywood. They are available in the same section as the beadboard. Then we set them up in Weston’s room to acclimate to the temperature and the moisture levels.
Then came time for installation. Jeremy marked all the studs in the wall.
We also did a ‘nail test’. It’s the easiest way to ensure that studs are in the right spot…especially when you deal with walls that are holding surprises (like ours tend to do).
Obligatory cutie photo…
After you measure the location (and double check it with the nail test) of all the studs, write down the measurements from one wall. We chose the left hand side as our start wall so all the measurements were from there.
Then we laid the boards on the floor and measured and marked the location of the studs on each board.
We did about nine screws in each board – three at the top, three at the bottom and three in the middle. And we tried to mark all the spots in the ‘grout’ areas of the faux brick so that the screw heads wouldn’t mess up the look of the brick itself.
Here’s where we did something a little unorthodox. On the back of the paneling, it was recommended to use nails. We used screws because I married a Mr. Overly-Secure-All-Things-To-The-Wall.
Then you are also gonna need a drill and a hammer and nails.
So I made the decision that the seams should be near the bottom. The ceilings in Weston’s room are REALLY high. Twelve feet high. And because the ceilings are so high, they required us to stack panels on top of one another to cover the entire wall. If the seams between the two panels are high, then they would be more noticeable. If they were low, then the furniture would sit in front of most of the seams and therefore obscure any real imperfections. But because we are just a dude and a pregnant wife, we have only one source of upper body strength. Jeremy needs to work out more. KIDDING.
Our solution to my incredibly jello-like arms was that Jeremy stood on the ground and lifted the board up the wall (pushing it all the way up to the left hand wall and the crown molding). Then I used one nail to hammer it into the center marked place at the very top. IT WORKED! The board stayed up just with one nail allowing Jer then to screw in the rest of the marked screws into place.
The first two boards were a breeze.
It’s because they didn’t require any cuts.
Then came time for board number three. This one did require cutting. So we had to purchase a ultra fine circular saw blade. And we just marked the line right on top of the board with a marker.
Our set up was in the basement. Bad idea. This stuff creates a huge cloud of black dust.
Jer and I marked the line to cut and then double checked everything.
Then using the circular saw, we slowly cut the board to the right width. (I’m a righty and Jer is a lefty and sometimes it just makes things easier if I cut things.)
Then this board required only six screws.
Then we repeated the process for the bottom pieces…cutting it to the right height (and making sure the bricks would be in the right pattern before making any cuts!).
The only little thing at this point was cutting out for the electrical outlets. Jeremy measured the location, marked the size and then used a drill bit to start the holes in the corner.
Then we propped the boards up on 2×4′s and used a jigsaw to cut out the little rectangles.
Repeat…screw…repeat…you get the picture.
Speaking of picture…I love this one. It is such a true representation of our life right now. Nothing gets done without two little ones literally on top of the project.
In the end, we absolutely love it. And I think that it was the perfect accent wall for our little guy. Granted…it still needs paint to make it look like the RH walls but for now, I’m loving this look.