It seems as if our dance with our laundry room is always one step forward, eighteen steps back. And this is just another step….
So we were all excited about getting countertops in after we moved the electrical hookups and plugged everything back in. It seemed like we were totally getting our groove back….only to find out that the dryer stopped heating. It still ran fine and we thought that maybe since we moved the electrical box, it had to do with a loose wire. Jeremy cut off the power, removed the face plate and checked it out but it was fine.
That is what brought me to google.
I don’t mean to brag but I would say that I am a moderately expert googler. My skills have left me learning many useless tidbits of information (how to turn a tire inside out, how to ward off mosquitos in the Amazon, etc.) and this time, I had a challenge….how to fix the dryer because I am too cheap for a repair man. I landed on several videos that thoroughly explain and walk you through the process of fixing our exact Samsung model.
Jeremy was a little apprehensive but since the video was fairly clear, he felt a smidge more confident and ordered the new heating element. Apparently, Samsungs are notorious for blowing a heating element.
It took a lot of ‘screwdriver’ time but eventually he had the front control panel off, the lid and the back panel off. It looks like a weird cousin of R2D2.
Right after he pulled out the piece that holds the heating element, we realized…this dryer is disgusting. Which brought us to our next question….how did it get so disgusting if it was fully encased in metal?! Those dryer manufacturing plants must be the pits.
Or we must do a better job at cleaning our lint trap. Either way…this thing was way dirtier than expected.
Once we opened it all up, indeed it was the heating element and we are glad that the lint inside didn’t catch on fire or something crazy.
The new heating element looked so much better (and safer!) and after hooking it back in,
attaching all the doohickies and whatchamacallits, and screwing back the hundreds of screws (ok…maybe there was only fifty)…
We plugged the dryer back in and hit the ON button.
Both Jeremy and I started laughing and after unscrewing three of the screws and looking at the power button, we realized that the very last step (clipping the power cord back into the power button) wasn’t done. DOH!
Plugged it in and BOOM! HEAT!
Not bad for a twenty dollar fix. And Jeremy even said that he is willing to take a look at the fritzy dishwasher now…. ::BRAINEXPLODES::