The Bower Power Trend Report is back and I am amped to talk trends! Think caffeine on energy on Selena on Kimye amped.
Last year I shared some of the current trends I saw flying through the blogosphere, the design world, Pinterest and in product lines. I also did a fun prediction of future trends….things I thought were up-and-comers in the home decor world.
So first, I’d like to discuss those from 2015….and see what is still going strong, what faltered, and what never got enough steam to even get off the ground.
IN 2015 these are the trends that I saw going strong….are they still gaining momentum? Are they fading? Are they long gone? Let’s discuss….
- INDUSTRIAL – Industrial vibes are still trending and thanks to Fixer Upper, I think they are mixing with modern farmhouse to stay strong for many years to come.
- WALLPAPER – Our favorite way to cover walls in instant pattern, wallpaper is here to stay in 2016. I think there are various trends within this category but one of the biggest differences is that most wallpaper is now made to be removable….which…genius.
- PERSONAL – Personal items are here to stay. I don’t even know if this is considered a trend.
- PATTERNED TILES – Super strong trend in the tile category, patterns are not only beautiful but still gaining momentum.
- MIDCENTURY MODERN – I really do see Midcentury Modern as a strong trend but it’s making little love children when combined with other styles. It’s purebred style is getting pushed aside in my book but it’s breeding like wildfire mixed other trends.
- GALLERY WALLS – Gallery walls are always going to be here….but now I see less BUSY galleries….and more polished ones.
- GOLD – Gold is everything right now and it still looks fresh. I like it best when it is brushed or less brassy.
- SUCCULENTS – Yup. Still going. These are one thing that I think will have…forgot the finish this sentence….probably best for everyone since I was gonna make a cheesy pun. that would succ 🙂
- IKAT – Ikat is morphing in 2016 and I see it becoming less perfect and more trends in pattern emerging. I’d say this one is holding strong but not necessarily growing.
- REMIX CHEVRON – I think 2015 was the year that chevron was plateauing and seeing remixed versions in the first part of this year helped it stay afloat. I think it’s never going to fully disappear but I think in general, the populous realizes that it’s not new anymore and we will see it fade in the coming years.
- AGATE – Agate is still going strong and I see it getting BIG. I mean literally big. Like I see wallpaper and paintings in agate styles and it looks amazing. It is still rocking. Pun intended.
This next category is the predictions that I had for 2016. These were trends that I saw up and coming. Trends that were still not fully realized in the general public. Trends that were looking fresh and had so much potential. Let’s see how these did as emerging trends…
- EYELET & LACE – I didn’t see eyelet and lace make a huge splash this year….although this summer I did start to see some pillows with lace details on the front…so maybe it’s a trend that isn’t fully realized.
- PLAID – I’m loving plaid and I still think it’s a fall and winter trend that is going to be hot. So far in 2016? Not much. But soon….I’m hoping my breath 🙂
- TEXTURE – I’m seeing texture in all sorts of home decor – especially pillows that are furry and different textures for rugs.
- FRINGE – I didn’t know where this one was gonna go….but now I know. It’s called wall hangings. And they are everywhere.
- ANIMAL PRINTS – A+ prediction. This one is growing stronger and bolder and badder.
- BUFFALO CHECK – Since everyone and their sister bought that buffalo check ottoman from Target this past winter, I am gonna say this one was a good prediction. It’s not something to use in every room….but it’s here to stay.
- FLORAL & STRIPES – This combo was a risky one and I still see it in small ways but nothing huge. Florals are going places but I see them a lot in subtle tones.
- JEWEL TONES – Jewel tones are still on the rise especially with anyone that loves the bohemian style. I think this is an accurate prediction for trends in the months to come.
- LIVE EDGE – Live edge hasn’t hit mainstream yet but if it does….I think it will explode. That’s a big if though. I still love the look.
- CORAL & MINT – This combo prediction was a big flop so far in mainstream products. Individually? I saw items. Together? Notsomuch.
- ZINC – I love zinc countertops and I thought for sure they would be hot by now but seriously….everyone has missed the bus on this look and it hasn’t made trend status.
- ASHY & GRAY WOOD – I think the gray undertones for wood are becoming more mainstream and people are really loving the look. This one is officially a trend and we will continue to see it!
- BOHO – I see this trend influence design in small ways. Look for it to continue to emerge in modern and traditional homes and more.
- STEEL GRAY – Gray is the color of choice when it comes to neutral wall colors. I love that it is going strong and is still rising within the general public over the other beige options.
OK. Past deals over.
Let’s talk about the new trends. Ones that I would love to see emerge in 2016 and beyond.
Here are the design ideas that I see that could really take root in our homes and gain that ‘trend’ status.
- MIXED METALS – Gold is still in. I’m not getting rid of gold. I am just mixing it up with silver or bronze or black to get a diverse assortment of fixtures. I think this could be huge.
- DARK CABINETS – So many folks are jumping on this dark cabinet train and I feel ya….white cabinets show everything! No wonder this idea has staying power!
- SOFTER PASTELS – I really swear that softer pastels are gonna be big. I just know it in my bones. I love them mixed with grays and whites and big black accent walls.
- ROSE ACCENTS – If I had to choose one soft pastel it would be rose. A dusty soft rose color makes everything feel soft. I also love a pale muted green and pale steel blue.
- WATERFALL COUNTERS – This idea of wrapping your counters down to the floor is sticking people. It’s costing an arm and a leg and it’s totally worth it. I have this hair brained idea to do it with our island….if Jeremy would just casually leave a wad of cash on the counter, it would totally happen.
- INTERESTING TILE – I just finished talking about patterned tile and now I want to throw another idea in the mix….tile that maybe isn’t patterned per se, but is still interesting. It could be the shape that is different or the fact that it has texture or is three-dimensional or has mosaic colors…..either way, tile needs to hold interest and the ones that do, will trend big time.
- HIGH CONTRAST BATHROOMS – So many folks are emerging with these high contrast bathrooms and I am SO jealous. I love love love this look and can’t wait to contribute to it one day.
- WORDS ON TEXTILES – I especially love the idea of handwriting script on fabric. I think the perfect computer generated print is going out and this new handmade-feel is coming in. Personally I would love that swaddle in the picture above to be a pillow 🙂
- VINTAGE INDUSTRIAL – Industrial is in. We can agree on that. But mixing that with vintage pieces and those soft pastel-y colors hasn’t made it mainstream yet. I think it has potential.
- ANIMAL PRINTS – I am restating this one because I seriously think it deserves a second and longer look. Animal prints in the coming year will be so big, I predict that a pillow similar to this will be in majority of homes soon. When in doubt, animal print people. animal. print.
- LIGHTER HARDWOODS – I am loving the look of lighter hardwoods in floors and think this will soon overtake the darker floors of yesteryear and be a big home trend this coming year.
- VELVET – The fabric of drama and Gone with the Wind will soon become mainstream. It’s too touchable for it’s own good 🙂
- BOHO + MIDCENTURY – This is another big smash-up that I see emerging. Bohemian style with midcentury modern furnishings is pushing farther than either of those two styles could do independently. It’s a marriage made in design heaven.
- PORTRAIT ART – I love portraits and I especially love how emotional they can be. Look for more than just clean smiling faces. These will be in every home….whether they are vintage or dramatic….they are a great trend to join.
- HUMOUR – Everyone loves to laugh and I think infusing our homes with humorous art and prints is going to be the new ‘style’. Are you a fan of puns or speak only sarcasm or just like play on words? Forget inspirational sayings and use humor instead.
- BLOCK PRINTED TEXTILES – Already this is gaining steam and the more I look for block printed textiles the more I find them. They will be big in the years to come!
- DELICATE DETAILS – When it comes to hardware, I think the newest trend will include delicate details. Adding little jewels to their cabinets or furniture is one way to make it your own.
- VINTAGE & WORN RUGS – Vintage rugs are trending and they add style, elegance and formality to any space. You don’t have to be a fan of vintage rugs to get this look….now rug stores are selling rugs that LOOK worn but are your favorite patterns so if you like geometric – you can still hop on this trend.
- TAPESTRY WALLPAPER – Wallpaper is still hot and growing and like I said before, removable wallpaper options are the new number one choice. But also look for wallpaper that looks like a painting – watercolor and tapestry are both versions that are getting footholds and look amazing.
- BANANA LEAF PRINTS – This banana-leaf print has dominated the fashion industry and now it’s taking on the home decor world. I see it consistently used in high end homes but will it get enough sticking power to be a mainstream trend? I think so.
- TIE – DYE – I never thought I would say this but I love tie-dye in home decor! The tone-on-tone versions are looking chic and can add interest to any space. I have seen them in traditional styles and boho styles and they just work. I see that one being big.
- QUARTZITE COUNTERS – Everyone loves marble and granite but quartzite is going to be the growing countertop trend in the next few years. They are arguably the most durable option for countertops and have more options than granite. This is going to be the countertop of choice.
- MODERN SPUTNIK – Caged lights are still hot hot hot and I think the next big lighting trend will be the modern sputnik. The sleeker more refined younger sister of the older sputnik lighting option is going to be big.
- PEBBLE TILE – If you are redoing a bathroom, consider pebble tile. It’s looking like it’s the new penny tile for all things bathroom.
- COLORED CABINETS – Kitchens everywhere are getting a splash of color when it comes to magazine features! Even though most cabinet manufacturers don’t have colorful options for doors (Ikea excluded) I think that is on the rise.
So that’s it folks. I only forgot one thing in my round-up and it’s black or super dark accent walls. I have been seeing those everywhere and think it’s a trend on the rise. What do you think? Have you seen any of these things or have another prediction to throw in the mix? I’d love to hear it.