Capiz Please

Ever look at a room and think, my goodness, an animal could be living in here and I would never see it…yes…it’s that dark.

I felt that way about the office.

But after we sprayed it, it seemed that the true culprit wasn’t necessarily the deficiency in lighting…

although that definitely plays a role during the nighttime…

the menace in this space was the paint colors.

You see, after we sprayed it white, it was literally the brightest room in the house.  The light poured in from the two windows and reflected back with the white wainscoting.  All that to say – I told Jeremy that I didn’t need a whole lotta lighting in here…maybe a small girly overhead light and a couple task lights.

He got to work removing the uber-classy and probably really expensive old single bulb lightfixture.

Enter my use-it-or-lose-it attitude.

I hate buying new things….don’t get me wrong – I LOVE BUYING NEW THINGS…but I also hate it, especially when I have perfectly good and lovely items in our house waiting to be used.  like, this capiz light fixture from my old dressing room…

Even though it doesn’t put off much light, I am convinced that this office is the perfect spot for it and Jer got to installing it for me faster than I can say – Capiz PLEASE!

Now it hangs proudly overhead….

I love that it looks dark because every space needs little depth, right?  correct answer – yes.

And I also love that it was FREE!

and it’s feminine – I mean, I probably would have never been able to convince my boytoy to hang this up if this were his space, but since it’s mine, he didn’t hesitate.

Lighting DONE!

Next up = FURNITURE!

We are just moving right along, aren’t we?!

Comments

Very cute! I can’t wait to see the end result of your creative space. :) I also struggle with trying to keep up with everything around here too. I have a 6 year old, 3 year old, and 8 month old.

I am already super jealous of your office space. It makes me want to kick my roommate out and turn her room into a Kate Spade-esque space for my own business… but that would be wrong, right?

3. Bridget says

I have been on the fence about adding this to my craft/office room. I am officially jumping off the fence and onto your side this is gorgeous! Free is always awesome too! Cant wait until the whole room is together!

4. Lindsey says

you rock my socks – really you do. I have been reading your blog since almost your beginning. YOUR BEGINNING as in your blogs I guess. Your humor in the way you write kills me, because it sounds like stuff that would come out of my mouth. To a T! So thank you for getting me to literally LOL at work – alla Poo&Eww :) Love the *NEW* color though and I am thinking of making your color MY color for my living room. Keep trucking girl, I read your venting post the other day, and you are a rockstar!

5. Amanda says

I think it looks darling! One question about the paint color, and I do love it, but I know you said you “hated” the mint color on the rest of the house, so I’m curious to know if you changed your mind? Or does this color read different in person than in these pics? Keep up the great work! :)

nope – still hate the mint…I call it toothpaste. I probably wouldnt hate it as much with clean walls and white trim…and if it was just in one room vs all over the house.

LOVE it!!! I love the bright white of the trim and details, the blue on the walls is beautiful and the new light is great. I have to have a little contrast in a room or else it bores me. Dark wood floors, accent pieces, light fixtures… something! Can’t wait to see the rest of it come together.

7. Sally says

I found a great capiz pendant for my guest room at World Market but would love this shade of capiz for my nursery! Where did you find it?

8. Christine says

Looks AMAZING!!! I can’t believe the difference. One of the best B/A and it doesn’t even have furniture yet. Your hard work paid off!

Love how bright it looks in there now…and the capiz pendant looks great against all of the light and bright. I scored a white capiz pendant off of ebay that I’m putting in my office once I make it over along with an Ikea daybed I got from Craigslist. It’s like your old dressing room came from my vision, except put blue where there is pink :). Can’t wait to see the final reveal!

10. Angela Hanson says

Patiently awaiting your next post!! NOT!! :) I swear I’ve checked your blog like 20 times in the last few hours, just to see if there was a new post up! :) I can’t wait to see the finished office!

11. Lacey says

I love this! I actually love it more in this room than the original room you had it in from the old house. Also, I really love that you are re-purposing items from other spaces- because it gives me ideas on how to use something in more than one place, and who wants to start completely over in buying stuff when you had perfectly good stuff in your first house! I worry about that sometimes ;) great post can’t wait to see the end result!

12. Beth says

Love it! Love capiz chandeliers. I’ve been lusting after a really similar one from West Elm for our eat in kitchen and the bigger rectangle one for our dining room. Have you seen the DIY ones all over pinterest-made out of wax paper? And it looks like a completely different room in there with white trim. I’m showing this to my hubby, we need some white trim in our house, bad!