Every year I try to do a hand print and a foot print of the boys. I love seeing how their little tooties have grown and celebrate all that ‘growth’ means. I can’t wait to do that with all my kids. Heck…if I had a dog I would do nose prints. Is that a normal thing? I heard somewhere that every dog has a different nose print…like our finger prints. I need to google that…
yup. it’s true.
and then through that, I found this.
Oh the curiosity-arousing side bars! They get me every time. Why yes I do need to know 10 medical facts that will change my life. And yes, I absolutely need to see the first zombie proof house. And I gotta see the girl who looks like a real life Barbie.
Let’s stop wasting time talking about things that waste our time and get back to it….three recent little art projects. The first…handprints.
I just stamped Will’s hand on a piece of cardstock and then put a little cut out heart inside. You know…because he holds my whole heart in the palm of his hand. #cheesy I did the same thing with Weston and put it in a frame upstairs to fawn over. When the time comes, I can just peel the heart off and put the prints in their memory books. I love this idea for a card for the grandparents or for a parent. It’s probably gag inducing to anyone not completely in love with my children…but it’s true….the whole heart in their hand thing.
End of #1.
Ready…Ok! Clasp clasp.
Here’s another little thing that took seventeen seconds but jazzed up a little frame quickly. I had this regular ole Ikea frame that held a greeting card (the art on the front of the greeting card was cute enough to frame) but the mat was turning yellow…and not a cute lemony yellow. It was more like moldy dingy cheese yellow. So instead of scraping the mat completely, I just used a bit of washi tape to cover it up.
The third little project was a little more time intensive. Instead of taking seventeen seconds, it took like seventeen minutes.
It all began with this package of shims. It was left over in our basement from a past project.
First thing I did was plan a layout. I altered them skinny side to the bottom then to the top then back to the bottom. It gives it a more intentional look…even though it was uneven.
I decided to make this one with three alternating colors. It was just craft paint. I didn’t sand the shims or anything like that…just slapped one coat on each piece.
To glue them together you want to put a thin line of wood glue on two pieces of shims for the backside.
The back will look like this but to be perfectly honest, you DEFINITELY want it to be drying with the front side up. That will force all the shims down into the glue. I imagine that hot glue will work just as well.
I made a couple of these just for kicks. This one got stamped with a sweet little phase.
And this one was freehanded with a red heart on a pink background. The little ‘stitch’ marks were drawn with a white paint pen.
Over all…these were REALLY REALLY easy. Like so easy that a child could do any of them.
So I need some more valentines décor. I decided that there is not nearly enough valentines day in my life. Will had ‘pink day’ at school today and I put him in a red shirt with a white button down over it. I figured it was a lesson in color blending. But mark my words, cupid is coming to town and we are painting it red (and pink and purple…)!