We are back from a week long beach vacation (more on that later!) and rarring to go with our guest bedroom makeover. When we told ya’ll that we would be working on our space for housing guests, we actually already had our wheels turning on this room and are anxious to catch you up on the progress so far. You may remember this photo from our crib tour:
The furniture is actually the stuff Jeremy brought into our home when we got married. It was purchased at Rooms to Go a long time ago and has held up through his bachelorhood fairly well. The fact that we didn’t have anything better was the reason we kept it…even though it was too big for the space and a little rustic for our blended tastes. (did you hear that Jeremy? Our tastes have blended…as in your taste has now blended into mine….as in my taste is the only one that counts…as in I RULE! kiddingloveyou)
So in order to get started on this space, the first thing on the to-do list was to establish the bedding. So I headed out to TJMaxx to see what they had in their clearance aisle. That’s where I picked up the first Hotel Collection Euro Sham for $10. I love the simple chocolate stripes on the white base…it is so versatile and classic. Then I headed to Marshalls (another fav when it comes to clearance shopping) and found the queen sized duvet cover. Although it was a different brand, it was the same color and I thought it would totally work with the sham. Then I stopped into the other nearby TJMaxx and found another sham…SCORE.
When I got home, I threw together the shams and duvet and added my trellis pillow (an old TJMaxx find) as well as some brown throw pillows for some added texture and a deep rich base color (they were from Pier 1 a while back). Then to visualize a color palette, I tossed some red fabric over the back of the headboard to see what the textiles would look like together. I LOVED IT. Did I mention that I love the reds lately? Because I do. Like a pitcher likes adjusting himself. So now that I have my color palette down, I was ready to move on to the rest of the room.
Since the curtains were a little rustic in feel, I decided that it was time to cut them loose. Plus they didn’t really go with the rest of the bedding, so I knew that the leafy drapes wouldn’t stay.
As a replacement to the burgundy and tan curtains, I threw up some chocolate linen drapes that I had in storage. I don’t know if these will stay forever…but they definitely work for now.
Now that I decided on the bedding and the drapes in the room, I had to make the decision on the furniture. I had three options.
1. keep it – live with the oversized furniture and bad color match and get over it.
2. redo it – I could take the pieces and spray them to fix the bad color combo. Granted it doesn’t take care of the size…but maybe an overstuffed room would come into style?
3. replace it – start fresh by selling this furniture to someone whose room could actually handle this large set and get a bed in here that actually fits with the pieces around it.
We ended up deciding that numero tres was our best choice. We would sell it and start with a clean slate.
And for those of you confused on the space issues we had…here’s a photo showing how tight it was with the pieces in this room. The bed had to be against the back wall and the only spot that could fit the giant dresser with the mirror was the wall with the light switch. Now check out the six inches between the edge of the bed and the dresser. Seriously…could Audrina Partridge fit through there? I think not…and I am sure her skinny jeans would get in a bunch over it.
As for the rest of the room, this last piece of furniture took up the space in the corner opposite the bed. Sure it is great for storage but we had nothing really to put in the big doors…nothing important anyways. I mean, I could find something to stuff in there. I am a packrat afterall.
Ok. Now that you have seen the space that we are working with and the bedding basics we chose, I’d love to hear what you think. We have some things we have already tackled with the help of a True Value credit – including paint, a new fan & crown molding – and we can’t wait to share the new look. But we also have loads that we still need to do…including getting furniture moved out, and new stuff chosen and moved in, and new accessories and some fun splashes of that yummy red color.
All I can say is that I am so excited to get this room a little closer to done…it’s like a ugly duckling I am hoping to turn into a beautiful swan…with red wings.