Will’s room is 99% finished. I may never tackle that remaining 1%. And I have only shared 50%. I really want to remedy that. So that leads me to this post…the way we updated his light fixture.
As you may remember, in it’s past life this room was an office for Jeremy. Yup – he telecommutes. He literally brings home the bacon without leaving the house…it’s like every dream of mine came true! And while he worked away in this room, the sole light source was a gorgeous single light fan….
Pretty gorgeous, huh? Yeah, designers everywhere love this style. I swear. It’s all the rage.
Now back to reality.
We really wanted to switch this light out for something a little more updated. Like something manufactured in the last 30 years. So the great light debate began. At first, I was totally smitten with the idea of a DIY style chandelier. Something a little like this was my idea of rustic cabin meets modernness:
I thought it would be totally cheap and work with our sleek-lodge-nursery vibe. But then I got confounded. You may remember my confoundedness. It was due to this beautiful darling light fixture:
The large linen shade did it to me. Right in the gut. And after I woke from my swoonfest, I decided that West Elm was the way to go. Afterall, it was only $150 and it could be used year after year for a dining room table or a small future eat-in kitchen or even in our basement over a poker table.
But then something happened. It was you. You happened. You guys encouraged me to check out different lighting options even though my heart was still palpitating over my warm lineny friend.
I was like Bella debating over which light to choose…Edward the West Elm bad boy or the werewolf (the big guy with the beautiful body). Apparently I like beef. So I went to order. And what should happen? Yup. Overstock was understocked. So I waited and waited and waited. And then the happy day arrived. I received an email letting me know that my Antique Copper 4 light pendant chandelier was AVAILABLE! So I pulled out my Visa and ordered it before you could say Jacob Black.
While we waited for it to actually arrive, I strongarmed my boyfriend into doing one additional lighting adjustment. I’ll give you a clue what it was:
Did you guess?
I’ll tell you anyway. A dimmer. I wanted to switch out our standard on/off switch for one that could be dimmed to allow for a less abrasive light flow for those late night feedings and for when we do our bed time routine. In all the books I’ve read, it says to also use a dimly light room for those babies that tend to be overstimulated (coughWillcough) or have trouble focusing on eating (hopefully this tendency to look away from boobs continues on into teenagehood!).
Now we have this beautiful light switch that provides a slew of mommy-friendly perks. 1 – it can be turned on with an elbow, a foot, or a shoulder. Perfect for when you are toting a baby, a burp cloth, Lansinoh, a pacifer, one swaddling blanket, an extra breast pad, your New Mommy’s Guide to Breastfeeding and all your breast pump supplies. B – it can be adjusted prior to turning on (which is great for when you wake at 4am and thankfully remembered to previously adjust the light at a barely-lit setting avoiding that blaring-light-which-just-woke-up-the-baby-moment). and D – it is one of the cheapest on the market.
And by golly, wouldn’t ya know it – as soon as we finished the dimmer project, what should arrive but our new light fixture. Measuring in at 26 inches wide, this puppy is huge!
The best part is that it has not one, not two, not three, but FOUR light sockets. This is perfect for fully illuminating the space that would obviously be the spot for numerous photog opportunities.
Installation was a semi-success. We first installed it with one of the included 6 in rods. Basically Jeremy could barely pass under it without getting his hat brushed. So we did a little investigative work (also known as taking the whole thing down and removing the rod) and reinstalled it flush to the ceiling bracket. Worked like a charm.
Isn’t it lovely? I absolutely adore it. Everything about it is perfection to me. The textured oversized shade, the reflective plastic piece on the bottom (which shields my baby’s eyes as he lays on the floor beneath it), the easy access to the light bulbs, the versatility for future spaces…everything screams “YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION!” And since I am not prone to $120 purchases, that my friends is priceless.
So do you love it too? Are you as infatuated with oversized light fixtures as I am? Maybe you have a traditional dining room pendant in a non-dining-space too? Or perhaps you just hooked up some dimmers that you officially named your new BFF? Shed some light (heehee!) on your lighting situation.