Katie – Hello?
Jeremy – It’s me.
Katie – Oh, hey hon.
Jeremy – Hey. I just called to tell you that I think I sold our washer and dryer.
Katie – Oh really?
Jeremy – Yeah. On craigslist. For two hundred and fifty bucks.
Katie – Hmm.
Jeremy – The lady is gonna come get em tomorrow.
Katie – That’s cool. So question…
Jeremy – ok…what?
Katie – How are we going to wash our clothes?
This was the conversation that led up to our new purchase. No discussion. No prior ‘laundry talk’. Just a craigslist listing and some lady who bought our 10+ year old washer & dryer. My lack of outrage and my flux of flexibility in the situation was surprising. It shocked even me. Maybe that means I am growing. I am already extremely mature…even the elderly are taken back with my overflow of wisdom. But emotional stability in the face of a laundry giant? This is new. Or it could just be fatigue. Either way, we were one step closer to getting a new washer & dryer so the bootie dancing with perfect strangers was acceptable.
So we headed out to HHGregg during a recent sale. It was actually pretty fun. This was going to be the largest NEW purchase that Jeremy & I have ever made. We could practically see the glittering sparkles on the shiny new equipment. But we knew that those shining glimmers of light were actually dollar signs – blinding people who weilded the all powerful credit card into submission. So we did everything to prepare.
1. We had out the Consumer Reports listing of approved appliances.
2. We knew our needs & wants – such as color, features and price point.
3. We dressed like paupers to score the best deal. Think the Olsen twins but with dreds.
After some extensive negotiations, a little flashing of the chest (the boyfriends, not mine), and a battle of thumb war, we ended up scoring a pretty great deal on a new Samsung washer & dryer. They are uber-fabu.
They look like this except white –
And the best part is that they have everything we need.
- They are steam equipped – basically steam washers & dryers claim better stain removal and less wrinkling (which means that future baby clothes will be 99.9% bacteria free!)
- They are water & energy efficient – so we won’t throw money out with the wash water
- They have delicate cycles + SilverCare – which means that they can remove nasties from my naughty bits of underwear without tearing a hole in them
- They have an extra large capacity – which will be great for when I attempt to wash our towels (Did I mention that Jeremy showers almost twice a day!??)
- They are front loading – so our couch’s slipcovered can be cleaned in our very own home instead of running over to a friend’s house every time we spill the Taco Bell beef baja chalupa
Basically they are just dreamy. And the price wasn’t too shabby either. The HHGregg guy (let’s call him Gregg, shall we?)…well, Gregg scored us an excellent deal – $2000 for both…plus the cost of installation (free with a rebate). It was definitely more than we wanted to spend…but those dang sparkles were just so dang….sparkly.
So what about you guys? Do you front-load? How about any archaic washer/dryer owners out there? And anyone else choose a Samsung lately? Truth be told, we knew that Samsung made great televisions…but laundry appliances? Who woulda thunk it? And I gotta hear all about your laundry blues…washer eat your socks? Dryer overheats? Any one have a battle with a local laundromat? Whatever your washing woes – here’s your chance to air that dirty laundry 🙂