First off….dude THANKS. You guys have been really awesomely patient during this whole blog remodel and I ‘preciate-cha. Things are still getting sorted out and I am slowly tweaking the site and probably will continue to make small changes over the course of the next month (hello mobile device readers – I am working on your stuff next!) and ready to roll for a few more years….because that is how long I will need to recover from coding. But for now it is functional and I have a backlog of stuff I wanted to talk about (Nornie’s baby! LJ’s birthstory! The beach! crafts! remodeling!)
So first up…let’s recap some of those Bower Build-Off projects! Thank you to everyone that took the time to vote. I hate you all for making Jeremy win. His head is so big now. And then I have to hurl insults at him because I’m jealous. And then he cries himself to sleep on his huge pillow. (name that movie). No but seriously…I probably would have voted for his project too. It was a great great GREAT idea and it turned out better than we both expected 🙂
Today we talk about the big fat loser project – the bench. Yes, I made it and even though it wasn’t the winner – it is serving us well. Everyday we plop down right there and jam Weston’s fat feet into his shoes. As most toddler-mommy’s know, research shows that it takes about seven minutes to get one toddler foot into one shoe…so it’s a solid chunk of time we find ourselves on this bench.
Here’s how I made it…
The first step was to attach the spools to the seat of the bench…a piece of 3/4″ plywood. Since the bottoms and the tops of the spools are a thick rubber type material, it means that predrilling is an absolute must.
Then I used 1 1/4″ wood screws to hold each one in place.
See how the rubbery part of the one spool is a different color than the other? This is why I chose for the slender foot to be on the top – hidden under the bench and made our bench with the fat foot at the bottom (which is what people were saying makes the bench look a little foot-heavy.)
Just as long as nobody says that I look foot-heavy, I’m good though 🙂
After the structure was complete, it was time to attach the 2″ foam and the batting. I got a roll of this stuff at a local discount fabric store. You could also use one of those mattress pads that you can buy at Walmart or wherever.
I simply laid the top down on the foam and marked it with a marker. Then I cut it out with scissors.
After that, I laid the bench foam side down onto a length of the batting. This will get wrapped around the bench on all four sides and stapled into place.
See how I say things and it magically appears?
Then came fabric. This fabric is seriously my soulmate. I love it so much it hurts in my intestines.
That’s quite the lovely bald spot Katie.
And now for some high speed stapling….CAUTION: the following contains high speed video. Do not watch repeatedly or your brain may not process normal human speed again. If you do, you may experience anger at your spouse for not renovating fast enough or frustration at the fact that your kids can’t talk like chipmunks.
After I flipped the bench on it’s legs, I decided that it didn’t look finished enough so I took some scrap wood that we had cut off a past project (it was already stained so WHEW!) and cut it to length – mitering the corners. I attached it directly to the plywood by sandwiching the fabric inbetween and using a brad nailer to hold it in place.
I honestly think that bit of trim really helps make it look way more finished.
So that is my bench tutorial! Hope the five of you that liked this project will get something out of it. The rest of you can wait till later for the lamp tutorial….because that is how it works for Toddlers and Tiaras. And also as punishment for not giving me and my loser bench a pity vote 🙂