Once we got rid of the biohazard wall color and replaced the bathroom sconces, the bathroom was beginning to look a little less vomit-inducing and a lot cleaner and brighter. But that vanity…yeah, it was driving me insane.
The handpainted flowers had to go…and since the lines were still good and the piece fit the alcove area perfectly, I just couldn’t justify starting from scratch. It needed to be repainted in a bad way. And I loved the idea of a two-toned vanity. The wood top could stay as is and since it had a little red detail, I thought it would be only natural that the base section should be red too.
Here it is after only one coat. Yes – you can still see some of the original painting.
I ended up doing three coats…finally got all the hydrangeas covered up with that third one.
Not to change the subject, but aren’t those drawers groovy?! I totally jumped up and down. It was like I had discovered secret tunnels in our walls.
We totally put this little guy to work. I swear as soon as he is old enough to understand “lightly sand with 320 grit”, he is getting a job. And as you can see, we used a sample paint can for the vanity….yup…$3 sampler. Which leads me to my next point…I learned at Lowe’s that certain paints have certain bases…and if you are going to purchase red paint, it is better to go with Valspar…because they have a red base. Funny huh?
Anyhoo…after the three coats were on, we slid it back into place to see how it looked.
Way better than before…but it was definitely missing something. It was like the paint finish just looked too new. too finished. too flat and way too bright. I wanted to add some depth…so I decided that I would glaze it.
The glazing actually worked like a charm. It added texture and brought out the little nooks and crannies and corners of the drawers and doors. I love it.
I decided to leave the top as is because 1. it needed a complete overhaul as some of the protective finish had cracked and warped the underlying wood and 2. I didn’t want the mess with the sink and faucets and 3. I was being lazy.
Overall, I love it. It looks so much more me than the flowers. I mean seriously…I didn’t even have flowers at our wedding…why would I keep the ones on the bathroom vanity?
And just in case you were wondering, we decided to snag a couple new fingertip towels at Target for the new loo. Aren’t they cute? Yes I realize that they look like flowers directly after my tangent about not loving flowers. It’s called irony folks…
And that is how we took the bathroom vanity from insane to humane….
p.s. If you were wondering about my how-to, I removed the hardware, sanded lightly with a fine grit sandpaper all the surfaces that were going to be painted, cleaned off any dust and debris, painted a thin coat, sanded with a ‘between-coat’ sandpaper, applied another thin coat, sanded again, thin coat third time, sanded again and then glazed using this process but left more paint on the piece to give it an older, browner finish. Also, I used vertical and horizontal strokes when removing the glaze to get the textural finish. That’s it!