About 12 months ago, our kitchen sink was on the fritz. I had planned to tell y’all about it but I got distracted. But those photos have been sitting on my computer this whole time and I thought it was high time to tell ya how we tackled it.
I’m sure most of you have seen a sink like this…
Last October we had a pumpkin painting party and we had tons of chili. I don’t know if that was exactly the cause of this clog but that’s my best educated guess because it was stopped up after that. Beans and meat do a number on most plumbing (wink wink).
I told Jeremy that since we were gonna take out the pipes and things that I would love to have a garbage disposal on one side of the sink. He agreed.
For those of you that don’t know…in general, we don’t tackle anything that deals with water or gas. My brother is a plumber and he has told us about enough DIY hack jobs that put the fear into us. But since this plumbing was exposed and not hidden behind a wall (and we had clear directions and a plumber on call) Jer felt comfortable tackling it.
Our sink has two different size bowls…one deeper than the other…and after we did a little measuring, we decided that the right hand side is where the disposal would live. Since the water from the right goes into the pipe from the left, the left hand side does not have a disposal feature at all so we are really careful just to put scraped dishes in the right and debri-free dishes in the left.
Anyhoo…this is what we ended up purchasing…it’s called the insinkerator. Ten thousand points for a cool name.
We got it at Lowes for $180. Not cheap…but roughly the cost of a plumber for an hour fix.
We also replaced the sink strainer on the opposite side.
The dishwasher connector kit cost an additional $9 but we figured that if something chunky made it into the dishwasher, we better grind that out before it hits the septic tank (we’ve had trouble with that before so that’s not reaching).
Since we were on the accessory kick, we bought the $60 SinkTop Switch…which I think they should sell with the disposal itself because it is AWESOME.
And then because we were using the SinkTop Switch, we had to get this plugin option that cost $12.
And then we had to make sure that the outlet was GFCI (it’s necessary to switch all your outlets to GFCI when they are close to water!). So this outlet from Home Depot cost about $13.
That’s a super quick switch. Here is a tutorial about switching outlets. Don’t judge me, I am wearing a robe in the video.
After the outlet was ready, we had to remove all the pipes. Demo is Jeremy’s middle name so that didn’t take long.
Shield your eyes!
Time for the sink strainers to come out….again…don’t look if you are eating lunch.
This is why sinks are disgusting. That dried up plumbers putty is like a sponge of bacteria and grossification.
Jeremy prepped the INSINKERATOR (say that out loud really dramatically and it will be your new favorite word) by punching out the dishwasher knockout plug. I got worried when the directions said that you have to hammer out a piece of my new $180 piece of awesome but it’s in the instructions…
Since we were hooking our disposal up to a plug in kit (vs. hardwiring it to the wall where a lightswitch would turn it on) we had to attach the wires in the INSINKERATOR to the wires from our plug in kit.
The way we get the disposal to turn on is the SinkTop switch. It’s basically just a button on your counter. We already had extra holes in the granite that we had just put caps on so it didn’t mean that we needed to add anything extra.
We did however have to take the caps off…so Jer climbed under the counter and screwed off the caps.
Can you see it now?
Then it was just a matter of slipping the button in the hole.
We still have one more hole in the countertop that has a cap…but in general I think having the button makes this area feel more intentional.
Since the INSINKERATOR (!!!) was ready and the button was ready, the next step was installing the new sink flanges.
We did the regular sink drain first. It requires a little plumbers putty first and then you just smoosh it in place.
Then we repeated the process with the disposal’s drain part…
You just smoosh (that’s the technical term by the way) the putty around the outside of the rim and put it in place.
We called in reinforcements for the installation part of the disposal body.
It involves a lot of slipping stuff on the mounting assemble and fastening the mounting screws. It is really groundbreaking stuff.
After the disposal was in, Jeremy reattached the right pipes. He also attached the dishwasher attachment piece. Everything is ‘snap this on’ ‘screw this tight’ and ‘twist this again’….it’s not rocket science. Just don’t forget to put on a P-trap.
Then came plug in time. You first attach the wire from the button to the control box.
Then put the cord from the disposal to the control box.
Plugging in the control box into the outlet is the last step! Now your disposal should be done!
So far we really love it. We have lived with it for about a year now and we haven’t had any issues with clogs.
And the part I love the most is that my sink feels nice and clean and the relief of knowing that a clump of beans won’t be my downfall! At least not in my sink 🙂